Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What are the best cats for very long distance racing?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

• QuoteI haven't quite got it figured out, but I think rowing it can be done

I'm going to experiment with 10' sculling oar at center rear xbeam on my cat. I'll also use the oar for righting pole.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • There is a Reynolds 21 here in L.A. for $5500, not a particularly fast boat especially as there are several fast tris in the race, but the cold is the most important factor to guard against. By the 2nd night, I don't know how you keep warm on a beach cat unless you come ashore & light a fire. Pete
  • Got out for the first sail yesterday, out of jericho beach in vancouver. My crew and i had a great sail in light to moderate air. This was both our first times on a cat! We flew one hull briefly and sailed circles around all the keel boats. Lots still to learn but we felt very good out there! One problem he had was getting the main down, any tips?

As for the code 0, i am going to have it custom made from a shop thats made lots of sails for me in the past. Then im going to put it on a ronstan series 60 small boat continuous furler.

QuoteI'm going to experiment with 10' sculling oar at center rear xbeam on my cat. I'll also use the oar for righting pole.

I would love to hear what kinds of speeds you can do with this. I used to use a sculling oar on a 27ft keel boat. Slow boat effective, i imagine it will work better for you!

--
    Phil W
    Nacra 570
    Victoria BC
    www.mausails.com
    --
  • QuoteI would love to hear what kinds of speeds you can do with this. I used to use a sculling oar on a 27ft keel boat. Slow boat effective, i imagine it will work better for you!

Control is more important that speed, especially with the sail up when it's windy next to the bridge pilings. I only need scull 500 yards through narrow channel, where it would be impossible to sail out of. To get in the open where the wind is. And to get back to the ramp etc. Of course I could use the oar/pole to keep from hitting the rocks too! icon_lol

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteOne problem he had was getting the main down, any tips?

Which 570 did you pick up in B.C.?
    There were a couple, one in Armstrong, one in Vernon, & I believe one other. One was actually a 5.7 with 570 mainsail.
    Is it a 570 mast with the "ring" at the end of the halyard, or the old 5.7 style mast, with a ball swaged onto the halyard?
    If it is the "ring" that drops onto a hook on the mast, do a search here, there are several threads addressing this exact problem. Mostly it has to do with how the ring is tied to the halyard. I could not get my 20' Mystere to come loose, until I changed the knot.
    Once I made it look like below, no problem. You must pull the halyard,(raise the ring just off the hook), then rotate the mast, to get the hook out of the way. Then while holding the mast rotated, drop the sail. This will prevent the hook from re-engaging the ring.
    There is a write up somewhere that stated the knot must face the mast, or vice versa. My boat was opposite of the write up.
    What I did was tip the boat over on the lawn,(Hell sail it up onto the sand at English Bay) then raise & lower the sail a few times. You will be able to see exactly what is causing the problem, & rectify it.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109537&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteWhich 570 did you pick up in B.C.?

I picked up the one just outside vernon, a 2003 570. It has the halyard ring, i have been reading some threads about it and seems i need to pay more attention to the orientation of the knot, or tie it the way you have it. Ill give it a shot later this week. Thanks

--
    Phil W
    Nacra 570
    Victoria BC
    www.mausails.com
    --
  • Hey Tum, all the best on your race, there is a wicked 24 in Kijiji in Cowachin lake, bit pricey though...
    We'll be on the Island next week for a week, looking to move there.
    Hope to log many fun nm.

--
    1975 P16 "Spring Rain"Sail # 642
    Home Built 2004 Optimist-Delta "Unity"
    So old it has Dino hide for a sail Chrysler "Pirateer"
    Steve
    Oyama BC
    Lat 50.1167 N
    Long 119.3667 W
    1700 ft
    --
  • QuoteWe'll be on the Island next week for a week, looking to move there.
    Hope to log many fun nm.

Where on the island are you moving? Im moving out to vic next week, lots of good wind and close by islands, but very limited options for storing the boat with the mast up.

--
    Phil W
    Nacra 570
    Victoria BC
    www.mausails.com
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.