Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 Deck Removal  Bottom

• I have to remove a couple of sections of a H-18 deck and wondered if anyone has done this and has words of wisdom they might be will to share.

Thanks.

--
    Leave places better for having been there; respect others,
    "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee - Scout, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Congress needs fixing, fix it!
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=forums&func=viewtopic&topic=15262
    look at this one.

--
    1975 P16 "Spring Rain"Sail # 642
    Home Built 2004 Optimist-Delta "Unity"
    So old it has Dino hide for a sail Chrysler "Pirateer"
    Steve
    Oyama BC
    Lat 50.1167 N
    Long 119.3667 W
    1700 ft
    --
  • I guess the first question to ask is what is wrong with the boat that requires deck removal?
    If it is just soft spots in the deck then search epoxy injection and spend a few hours and the
    Boat will be as solid as new.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • You really can't remove the deck on a Hobie 18. The deck is one piece and it's bonded to the hull all along the hull flange. If you try to separate the deck from the hull at the flange, you will end up destroying the flange.

You can cut out an area of the deck, but keep in mind you will be cutting through a sandwich section which means you will have to repair inner and outer skins as well as the foam core. You will also have to repair the gelcoat which will likely involve repairing nonskid. It is a fairly involved project and you need to do it right because the deck contributes a lot of strength to the overall hull structure since there are no bulkheads or stringers inside a Hobie hull.

What exactly are you looking to do?

sm
  • ~~ Buy another boat / hull(s)~~ icon_eek icon_confused

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • OK...Sorry for late response, but rec no note of replies.

I figured the questions. I am taking red line hull that was to be scrapped, had typical crack in hull forward of dagger slot, and redoing into an outrigger. I need to remove the forward deck section to form a mast step in hull (I know I could step it on top...) to make set up easier, as I trail the boat and the mast is a stubby that supports a 26 foot yard and boom, ala Malibu Outrigger, with shrouds.

Hull is now solid and doing step, cockpit, akas and shrouds last as scheduled. I had not correctly figured the righting moment, as I sort of suspected, so now must deal with it in spring. Too cold here to do now.

I know the hull is sandwiched foam. I have located the seams from the inside via inspection port.

In this case, I plan to remove about 18-inches or half meter of deck about 3-4 feet aft of bow, and replace when finished. Stubby mast will rest on step, going through deck...makes is easy to set up on trailer.

Need working room to form step properly and spread out forces from righting moment, even if mast is stayed.

I have split and rejoined hulls in past and all are fine. This seems easy enough, but you never know, and Murphy hangs around...rejoining the forward deck to boat would not be that difficult, seems to me, if deck is carefully removed according to a plan, which I think I have figured out.

I am also adding a foot-well just aft the dagger slot and that cut will be different in that I am "planning" to keep the current joined seams and angle the edges into a glass/epoxy cockpit about 3 feet long x beam-width, with base for floor supported on carbon-reinforced hull contoured tubes tabbed to reinforced hull (tabs will be to area sections where inner foam has been r/r'd with epoxy bog). The Hobie construction is weak sandwich and needs the stiffer hull reinforcement to hold together. I also suppose I could use carbon in inner glass too.

Besides, the step needs length stress support to stern, especially if I add the foot well, even if tabbed to dagger case.

Carbon is light, strong...etc, but not using along length, to keep flex close to glass original.

I know this may be a one-off, just wondered if anyone had messed with deck/hulls and had some advice.

You can view pics on this site, to give idea, here:http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures?g2_itemId=107387 http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=107387

Edited by BobBill on Oct 13, 2014 - 10:34 AM.

--
    Leave places better for having been there; respect others,
    "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee - Scout, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Congress needs fixing, fix it!
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.