Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Anybody grease their jib furlers?  Bottom

• Thinking of rebuilding mine and wondering what type of grease people use in the bearings?

Is silicone grease or Vaseline good options?

Also, is it ok to put a little grease on the teflon washers?

http://i328.photobucket.c…ibFurler_zps9fb1bc43.jpg

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • rondog
    Also, is it ok to put a little grease on the teflon washers?

NO

the rebuild kit comes with new washers and bearings, they are not designed to be lubricated.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • almost all lubricants will trap dirt and sand and prevent bearings from rolling... leading to flat spots and worthless bearings.

harken does make a product specifically for their bearings called McLube™ OneDrop™ Ball Bearing Conditioner but (IN MY OPINION) your better off just cleaning your furler(s) with warm/hot fresh water often than needing that sutff there. Keep your furler out of the sand and your fine for years of service
  • Ok good advice! Will do!

Thanks guys!

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • Also you could use a little handdisch cleaner, this is wat i alway's use on my trefler. It will grease and clean pritty good and wil wash of by just a little water :)

--
    Nacra 5.7 spi 93
    --
  • i respectfully disagree, it may work short term but it's bad for the bearings for the reasons stated above
  • I'm in the no lubricant camp for all the reasons mentioned. Anything that holds dirt or sand is bad. Keep it clean and out of the dirt.
  • Second MN3. I have an H 18 and just keep the furler clean, rinse off after every use and rebuild every couple of years or so as needed. I do use McLube on the upper forestay swivel to help keep it working smooth.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.