Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P16 main downhaul block sheaves cracked - do I need them?  Bottom

• So my P16 has these two blocks on each side of the mast on the sides of the boom gooseneck attachment point. These are riveted to the mast, so no removing a pin to replace them. Of course, as soon as I went to properly downhaul the main, one of the plastic block sheaves snapped and the other will snap the next time. So, I could go buy a replacement unit, go drill out the old rivets, figure out how to put up new rivets in a way that does not make the mast leak like a sieve, and have myself two shiny new downhaul blocks. The question is - do I need them? The lack of the first one did not slow me down a bit - the downhaul line wraps and slides around the pin on which the block sheave rotated as well as around the surviving sheave on the other side of the mast. I am thinking I can save myself some trouble and just pass the downhaul around the pin as well as it went around the sheave. Am I missing something?

--
    Mike
    Prindle 16
    Rochester, NY
    --
  • No. Pete
  • The tighter radius of the pin vs. the block may cause your downhaul line to fatigue quicker. Keep an eye on it and replace at a shorter interval than you normally might and you should have no trouble.

--
    Brad
    81 Hobie 16
    80 H16 parts boat
    Sail - Lake of the Ozarks
    --
  • no sweat...you don't need the plastic at all.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.