Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

1984 Prindle 18  Bottom

• I just purchased my first catamaran after having a Sunfish in my youth-- I wanted to get back into sailing again. Found a great deal on a Prindle that had been stored in a basement for the past 9 years and was in excellent shape. I figured how hard could it be to figure out how to rig it??. HA! I have gone to 2 different sailboat companies and no one can figure out how to rig it. The manual is really vague. Does anybody have any pictures or can direct me on how to rig this boat? I'm at the frustration point of just selling it and moving on if I can't get this figured out. Thanks for your help!
  • Could you be more specific ? . Here's a step by step guide, if you have questions
    by any of these steps, just ask it.
    There's plenty people here willing to help you.

Start with putting the hulls and beams together.
    Lace the trampoline between hulls.
    Step the mast.
    Put on the rudders, tiller bar and joystick.
    Figure out Halyards situation specific for your prindle.
    Figure out Jib sheet and main sheet and there blocks.
    Attach the boom to the mast.
    Raise the mainsail and jib.

André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • What's possibly confusing is the two part forestay. The short upper forestay with ring is attached to the tang or hound along with the side stays (ring facing mast). Lower forestay with turnbuckle is then attached to upper forestay. Rope jib halyard is run thru ring, thru short pigtail of upper forestay and down thru ring. Park the two ends on the rotator bar. Pete
  • taplep, where r u located? many sailors here willing and able to help, may even be some in your area. How far along are you with assembly? if boat was stored in basement then it was dis-assembled, so where are you at with assembly?

R
  • PS, check messages, top left corner.... icon_biggrin
  • taplepI'm at the frustration point of just selling it and moving on if I can't get this figured out. Thanks for your help!

taplep, Don't give up! And welcome to TheBeachcats.com.

What manual do you have? First make sure it is for your model Prindle. The Prindle 15, 16, and 18 models all use the same manual.

Find it here, both individual pages and a download PDF
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures?g2_itemId=75669

You can link to individual pages that you don't understand to ask questions.

And like TR said, where are you located? I'm assuming someplace cold because we don't have basements down south! TheBeachcats.com has members every place catamarans are sailed, so we might be able to hook you up with someone local. I guarantee you an experienced Prindle sailor could straighten out the problem in no time.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • When you get to the rudder system there are great photos and descriptions here.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures?g2_itemId=89541

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Taplep,

Where are you located? I am sure there may be someone close by that can help you...

Excellent choice on your boat for getting back into the sport.... The Prindle 18 Classic is a very simple boat to rig.

Take a look at the manual that Damon gave you a link to and here are a couple of Youtube clips for the Prindle 16... which is just about 90% identical to the 18..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFoGnMoErgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iVy81J-iFw

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Taplep, You've come to the right place! Have the confidence that TheBeachcats is the best group of people you will find. If they can’t help you get your cat going then no one can. Everyone is here to help promote the sport.

First and foremost you will need to just swallow the pill that cats are way different than your sunfish. From rigging, to sailing, quicker reaction times etc., it's a whole new ballgame. But a fun one! Whew! Ok now that that’s out of the way, be patient and work your way through your plan step by step. Ask questions and take pictures. You will most assuredly always get answers. Rome wasn’t built overnight and neither will your cat. It’s a hobby, a sport, a learning process, and an enriched way of life. Have fun with it and you won’t be sorry!

If you love sailing fast on the water you are going to love your P18. They are fast and forgiving and perfect for someone transitioning from a monohull. Enjoy!

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.