Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Visiting PCB (Panama City Beach) with my H18  Bottom

• I have stayed, many times, at Condo just .5 mile west of Pier Park and rented Hobie Waves and Getaways from a beach guy by the week several times. Now I'm bringing my H18 and need to launch her/keep her on the beach. I have beach wheels and was considering launching at one of the beach access places near my condo. I know the public cannot drive on the beach but I thought I could unload beside the street and use cat trax to get her to the water. One access point is just east of the new pier and the other just west of the Sandpiper Beacon. Both are reasonably close to the condo we use. These are the best choices for convenience.

Like I did nightly with the Wave and Getaway, I would bring in the main sail, furl the jib, and pass a cable lock through the valuables (Beach Wheels, blocks, gudgeons, etc.) I'm not too worried about theft or vandals as there was never anything bothered on the boats I rented. I am more concerned about beach patrol stopping me from launching or not permitting me to keep the boat in front of the condo - though they never cared about the wave or getaway sitting out there. Thoughts please? Will this plan work? Thanks much!

--
    Tim Young
    Hobie 18' + other stuff that floats and goes.
    Kentucky
    --
  • Stayed at the Emerald Beach Resort , Front Beach Road, thebeachcat community helped me locate a set of beach-wheels, checked with local authorities and there was no problem with leaving the P16 mast-up on the beach for the entire week, just make sure your main halyard does not play the "halyard concerto", secure it so it does not bother anyone.
  • the-renovatorStayed at the Emerald Beach Resort , Front Beach Road

Were you able to setup and launch next to your resort? Google earth shows what appears to be beach access there. If not there, then where? As for the halyard, great advice for anywhere, anytime.

--
    Tim Young
    Kentucky
    --
  • icon_eek They had open space behind the parking garage where I could leave my trailer, setup there and used the beach-wheels to haul boat across the main road (front beach rd), and down to the beach, there was an access rd next to the resort that was used by local rental company to bring in jet-ski's, I used that. Very shallow sand banks that extend out 200 ft +, had to use the channel between banks to come and go when sailing, much to the concern of swimmers standing in knee-deep water on the sandbanks, the usual landlubber ignorance.. icon_rolleyes

Edited by the-renovator on Aug 27, 2014 - 10:30 PM.
  • I've taken my H16 down to Panama City Beach before. By far the hardest thing is getting the boat to the beach. Seems like most ways to access the beach is on the narrow paths between buildings. I don't remember having any issues parking our boat on the beach up close to the building we were staying in. If you ride down the beach you'll see lots of catamarans that have been parked on the beach for awhile so I doubt its an issue but you never know.
    On a different note, I'm not sure if the beach patrol likes people going out during red flag even when it comes to sailing. But that's usually the better time to sail.
  • i lost my first h18 jib when it popped open on the beach in a squall

i would recommend you tie up the jib to prevent it from working loose overnight

I either take a spare rope and simply run it through the clew and tie a few wraps around it
    or i tie a line from my front beam and tie a knot around the furler ring so it can't rotate
  • About 16 miles west of PCB is a beach called Inlet Beach. It is next to Camp Helen State Park on the east and a public beach on the west side with lots of parking. Check out google maps and using the satellite view, look for South Walton Lakeshore Drive off of 30. If you follow the road to where it makes a 90 degree turn at the shore, you'll see a public boat launch where you can drive your car on the beach to launch. The only caveat is that the sand is super soft, so you'll need 4WD. There is a lot of public parking spaces to leave your vehicle while you're out cruising the emerald waters of the Gulf.

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • ConnorG
    On a different note, I'm not sure if the beach patrol likes people going out during red flag even when it comes to sailing. But that's usually the better time to sail.

Have sailed at PCB with double reds - seems it takes very little to bring them out. They seem to go with double reds quicker than other beaches we have visited. I figure if they see you trying to get out through the surf, they may call you back in, but once you are out I doubt they'll bother you. However, I have seen the Sherriff's Helicopter chase in swimmers... they may come after me! icon_eek

the-renovator much to the concern of swimmers standing in knee-deep water on the sandbanks, the usual landlubber ignorance.. icon_rolleyes Edited by the-renovator on Aug 27, 2014 - 10:30 PM.

Part of sailing at PCB around the condos - I ALWAYS look very closely when coming in for the swimmers. Especially when the surf is up and they may be hidden behind waves or even worse snorkeling in close, common for little kids.

MN3i would recommend you tie up the jib to prevent it from working loose overnight

Thanks for the tip - will do. The little "V" cleat for the furling line can let go pretty easily.

motivatedAbout 16 miles west of PCB is a beach called Inlet Beach.

Thanks, I'll use this option if my plan to stay close to the condo fails.

--
    Tim Young
    Kentucky
    --
    MN3i would recommend you tie up the jib to prevent it from working loose overnight

Thanks for the tip - will do. The little "V" cleat for the furling line can let go pretty easily.

On my H18 when the jib is furled I have enough furler line so that I can run the line down from the V-Cleat under the front beam and out to tie it off on the forestay above the furler. Simple and it keeps your jib from coming unfurled overnight, which is really really really bad.

Have a good time in PCB, used to spend time on the Gulf there every year at July 4th with a bunch of Memphis sailors, some years we had so many cats on the beach people wanted to know if we were renting them.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Quotei would recommend you tie up the jib to prevent it from working loose overnight

+1
    I leave my jib up all season, with a UV strip for protection. Inever leave it overnight without a safety tie.
    Fold the line in half, pass the fold through the jib clew, then pass the ends through the fold. I leave the line this way. When sailing the ends just trail alongside the jib lines, & it is always ready when you are done for the day.
    On the Mystere, with a 10' beam I cannot stand on one hull & reach the jib clew. I use a gear lock safety pin from a jet. It is the perfect diameter to go trhough the bottom hole of the 10 hole adjuster on top of the drum. A short cable,(with a Remove Before Flight tag) ends in a clip that I attach to the bridle wire. Super quick at the end of the day & cannot come undone.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=88356&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • timscottyoung
    Have sailed at PCB with double reds - seems it takes very little to bring them out. They seem to go with double reds quicker than other beaches we have visited. I figure if they see you trying to get out through the surf, they may call you back in, but once you are out I doubt they'll bother you. However, I have seen the Sherriff's Helicopter chase in swimmers... they may come after me! icon_eek

A couple of years ago they had quite a few weak swimmers drown so they are extra conservative with the flags ever since. I know that surfers can get in the water during double-reds so they may not give you a second look unless you look like you are having an extra tough time getting through the surf.

You should be OK this weekend as they are only forecasting a small bump in the surf. It will probably stay yellow flag all weekend. Just be sure to keep a vigilant eye out for thunderstorms as there will probably be plenty of them popping up throughout the weekend.

I will more than likely be out on my paddleboard all weekend at the state park. Enjoy the long weekend and welcome to PCB.

--
    Rob V.
    Panama City, FL
    --
  • Back from Panama City Beach - Took my H18 9 hours from Kentucky and had good sailing every day! Left it on the beach in front of Condo every night with no issues, though I did bring the main sail to the room each night. I also passed a cable lock through the main block and the boom. I launched, with the beach wheels next to Pier Park, but I would change to the access next to Sharky's restaurant next time, since it isn't as steep there. No grief from the beach patrol, and they were by the condo every day. Left trailer in the parking garage, with permission, so no problem there either. All in all, I'd do it again! icon_cool I did have a small army (my daughters and their 2 friends, along with my wife) to help push the boat. Thanks for all the advice.

--
    Tim Young
    Kentucky
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.