Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 Rudder Holes  Bottom

• Every once in awhile being paperless creates difficulties.

Anyone have H-18 rudder holes template they can lend me, or the dimensions, so I can drill a rudder I made to fit the upper/lower rudder assys?

--
    Leave places better for having been there; respect others,
    "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee - Scout, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Congress needs fixing, fix it!
    --
  • Check out www.hobiecat.comau/pdf/support/rudderdrill.pdf
  • Try this link

http://www.hobiecat.com.a…/support/rudderdrill.pdf

Edited by pknapp66 on Aug 24, 2014 - 06:06 PM.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Thank-you, both of you. I am late returning.

As noted, I am paperless.

I also found this link most informative and helpful, regarding old and new style rudders. (I have older and crafted my own rudder of mahogany ply. It is slightly thicker, longer and wider than 18/16 blade.)

Using on 18 hull that is main hull on my soon to be completed outrigger.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=467

Edited by BobBill on Sep 13, 2014 - 08:08 AM.

--
    "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee - Scout, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    --
  • Bob, I just went through the templet trick on my rudders after I installed the updated rudder system and Aussy gudgeons on my H18. I followed the instructions to the letter, I checked and rechecked, I used the lay over type templet and then checked with old hole to new hole templet, then I re checked and EVERY thing matched. So then I drilled my holes in one rudder, guess what.... it was off so far I couldn't get the rudder to lock in the up position and it wouldn't adjust for any sort of proper trim. So what I did was filled the holes, then I used the approximate rudder pivot hole and then lifted the rudder in the casting up and down to check for proper trim and that it would go up as needed. I found that the pivot hole was in about the right place. Then I put the rudder all the way down with the lower adjustment screw (trim screw) backed all the way out, (rudder kicked forward). Next I put the upper casting on and marked the proper hole spot on the rudder, then I put the upper casting into the "kicked up" position, lifted the rudder into the casting and then made another mark. The marks were only about a ¼" off. I took the difference and drilled between the two. After installing the rudder and adjuring the lower rudder trim screw they worked perfect in the lower position and they locked in the up position and I have adjustment room on the upper casing bolt and the lower trim screw. I left the upper casing bolt set just a little forward of center and then set the lower rudder trim screw to meet it, with my mast set about neutral the boat was perfectly neutral no weather or lee helm!!! At that point I raked my mast back one pin whole and I have the perfect amount of weather helm.

I hope that helps, it sounds like a lot of work but it was just a little bit of time and well worth it.

One more thing I measured the other rudder the same way, I didn't use the first one to drill the second because some boats can have a difference in transom angle - mine does.

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • Shipchips1, Outstanding and perfect timing...I was just about going to drill, but measured many times, and now will follow your advice as well. Super "kewl" and I thank you...

--
    --
  • I think I did it right. But will not know until wet. Thanks.

--
    --
  • Below is a link from a Michigan Hobie 18 sailor that is extremely thoughtful and if you scroll down, good pic of idea of how to locate or set rudder rake for moderate weather helm...clear pics and excellent workmanship and well worth the attention...FWIW.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36064&start=15

--
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.