Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Juana Good Time Regatta 2014  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• Karl, this may come in handy also.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109600&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • nacra55Karl, this may come in handy also.

Ron that image is a really nice summary of the basics. Do you know the source of it?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    nacra55Karl, this may come in handy also.

Ron that image is a really nice summary of the basics. Do you know the source of it?

No I don't, something I grabbed at some point so I wouldn't have to keep asking Jerome what the NEW start sequence was. That's a laser class flag. It would make a great sticker.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Tepe: That's some pretty big optimism there....gonna kick everyone's ass. Not only do you party like a 20 year old, you dream like one!

rondog: It is highly unlikely that there will be enough H18s for a separate class, and the Magnums have the same rating as the standard, so you should be racing other H18s boat for boat, but probably in an open class.

Boz: Well said, my friend.

In case anyone is interested, my two cents on the class legal thing......If you have a H16 that isn't class legal, that doesn't mean you can't race. As Boz says, you should at least meet minimum crew weight and have Hobie sails (I would have just said not oversized or square top) to race in the H16 class. If not, you simply take the appropriate corrections to you Portsmouth (handicap) number and race in the open class (like ConnerG said). I suspect that the majority of the violators are in one of two groups. The first are newer folks who don't know much about the rules, haven't dealt with the Portsmouth system much, and aren't too much of a threat to take a trophy. (We were all there once!) The second group are those who cheat, who know they're cheating, who don't care that anyone else knows they're cheating, and who don't care that I'm dissing them right now on the interweb!

See you all Friday!

Edited by rattlenhum on Sep 02, 2014 - 02:35 PM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • these rules all seem very simple and straightforward----almost the same as racing my Porsche.....
  • DamonLinkous
    nacra55Karl, this may come in handy also.

I found this as well.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109603&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • Jerome, I am an optimist! The idea that one of these years, the wind God's decide to blow me past all of you guys is what motivates me to drive 13 hours for this race, and seeing all of the wonderful people! And I resemble that remark.... I do drink like a twenty year old! Love ya brother!

--
    Tepe Racing
    Glenn Tepe
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    1978,1978,1979,1982,1986 Hobie 16's
    --
  • Sorry to go off topic but instead of starting a whole new thread can I just ask simply if the magnum is an identical boat to the classic H18 but just with wings?

Btw, magnum class rules say wings must be run. how firm will the rules be adheared if a racer does not? If someone protested I guess that would be grounds for a DQ? Yes?

Edited by rondog on Sep 02, 2014 - 01:45 PM.

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • rondogSorry to go off topic but instead of starting a whole new thread can I just ask simply if the magnum is an identical boat to the classic H18 but just with wings?

Yes, Hobie 18 Magnum is a Hobie 18 with Magnum (or SX) wings.
    rondog
    Btw, magnum class rules say wings must be run. how firm will the rules be adheared if a racer does not? If someone protested I guess that would be grounds for a DQ? Yes?

Don't think there is such a thing as "Magnum class rules".

Don't confuse the fact that the Hobie 18 and Hobie 18 with wings (Magnum) having the same Portsmouth Rating with the Hobie Class Association rules for a Hobie sanctioned race, but it's always up to the race committee and the fellow competitors how much "wiggle room" is allowed. I've raced Hobie events with my wings, it's really an additional weight penalty that I don't need, rather than a benefit in most cases.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • QuoteThe idea that one of these years, the wind God's decide to blow me past all of you guys is what motivates me to drive 13 hours for this race, and seeing all of the wonderful people!

Down south we prefer to get blown by the Wind Goddesses, but to each his own!

Jerome Vaughan
    Team Tepe Groupie

Edited by rattlenhum on Sep 03, 2014 - 01:59 PM.
  • Honestly... If I had to choose, I'd take passing you and Miss Janey over a goddess blow job! Lol We are passing Louisville... Will be sailing in the am!

--
    Tepe Racing
    Glenn Tepe
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    --
  • Wings on or off portsmouth rating for stock 18, two crew, no square top is 71.4. Depending on the wind speed, racing with wings on does slow you down due to extra weight as compared to a non-winged 18. If it is howling I always feel it is an advantage to race with wings on . Just my feeling.
  • Where is everyone? Tepe Racing is in the parking lot, currently drinking beer.

--
    Tepe Racing
    Glenn Tepe
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    --
  • Dang! You're making me very jealous. I am working today, my son and I leave tomorrow at 0'dark Thirty. We should be in the parking lot for set-up by 11am on Friday (beer in hand).

--
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • Cool racing vid to get the juices flowing for this weekend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMjZ1w6hMXM

--
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • teperacingWhere is everyone? Tepe Racing is in the parking lot, currently drinking beer.

Ha! rainy morning and still had to do some work, but headed over soon.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Tepe: If I still stayed up all night and had cornflakes in a can for breakfast like you boys, you'd definitely be passing us. Hell, in addition to a good night's sleep, I've been know to require a nap on Saturday afternoon if we finish the distance race quick enough! Regardless of any race scoring cards, Team Tepe are no doubt the Kings of the Good Time Regatta!

See ya' tomorrow, Your Highness!

Jerome Vaughan
    Team Tepe Groupie
  • Somebody, anybody, PLEASE capture and upload some footage!
    icon_biggrin

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Karl!!! You have a land cruiser!!!!! You drove off before I could meet you.
  • The turn out @ Juanas is great as usual. 50 something preregistered and more still popping up.
    More info. later today . Wish you could be here Tim .

--
    Doug Klem
    Pensacola , Fl.
    Blade F16
    Prindle 18-2 w/spin
    Prindle 18-2 x 3
    Prindle 19 MX
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.