Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

One Last CAT!  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Jack B,

I appreciate your comments, particularly since you actually own and sail a H17.

At this point H17 is the top candidate. I've been doing a lot of searching and find the prices all over the place and no H17's in the current area, but I'll travel a day for the right boat. Will continue the search. With fall/winter approaching I expect prices will become a bit more reasonable for one in top condition.

Question: With my height and weight (6'4" and 200-210#'s, trying with little success to get back in the mid 190's, icon_smile ), do you see any difficulty righting the H17 or moving it to/from trailer/beach on cat wheels?

Thanks,
    also Jack B
    aka Clean Living

PS: Mystere 4.3 or 5 is a close runner up at this point.
    I have found several Hobie 16's at a fair price in good shape, but I think the H-17 or Mystere would be a better rig at this point in my Life.

Edited by cleanlivin on Jul 27, 2014 - 09:43 AM.
  • Have you looked at this cat? Don't know if it is still available

http://www.TheBeachcats.com/classifieds/catamarans-for-sale/p13582-hobie-17-27excellent-conditionwings26amp-3b-upgrades.html
  • saltsprayHave you looked at this cat? Don't know if it is still available

http://www.TheBeachcats.com/classifieds/catamarans-for-sale/p13582-hobie-17-27excellent-conditionwings26amp-3b-upgrades.html

Frist, thanks for the link!

Yes I did, but Texas is a long way from Chapel Hill, NC.
    I believe the chap is moving to Atlanta, GA. Once he gets there it might work IF he has the jib setup.
    With my size and weight I feel I need a rig with full setup to be able to really enjoy it.

I have left a phone message for the owner but no reply yet.

I find MANY cats still advertised that have been sold or you never can make contact with the poster. Find that a bit annoying to say the least. I've cash in the bank looking for the right rig at the right price.

Jack

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with the owner of that 17. It's not an SE and has a steel trailer; that's not going to work as I'll be doing some sailing on the NC Coast. He does have the hardware to add a jib but no sail or roller. However, a very nice chap that sounds like he takes good care of his gear.

Edited by cleanlivin on Jul 27, 2014 - 02:52 PM.
  • cleanlivin
    I find MANY cats still advertised that have been sold or you never can make contact with the poster. Find that a bit annoying to say the least.

When you actually hear from an owner that the boat is sold, please leave a comment on the ad like "owner says it is sold" and I'll mark it sold.

Other ads get "forgotten" by the seller or they just don't take the time to mark the ad sold or delete it after selling the boat or part.

Periodically I clean up the ads by deleting all the oldest ones. Right now there are ads from 2013 so I'll probably delete all of those soon.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • This looks like the boat you need, good trailer,cat trax, etc. Sail it til you're done then sell it.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ort-se-with-trailer.html
    I sail with a 2000 H17Sport, they are pretty fast, the wings mean comfort. The only real shortfall is when the water gets rough, then he wishes he had the Nacra 5.0

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 28, 2014 - 04:20 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Here we go; I've found an H17SE and a Mystere 4.3 that are both in excellent condition. As such, both are in the higher realm of the general price range, but I'm more interested in the sailing quality of the cat than the asking price.

Now, I've found several posts on the 4.3 but they speak of the 4.3 as being a youth or beginner cat. I'm anything but either of those qualifiers. I've owned and sailed for near 20 years H14, 16 and 18 (back in my 20's and 30's) then went on to a Cal 29 and an Ericson 38!

Anyone one have distinct preferences between the two?

Edited by cleanlivin on Jul 29, 2014 - 03:54 PM.
  • The 4.3 is cool little boat, includes a spinnaker. But the emphasis is on LITTLE, it's only 14 feet long and doesn't want to be overloaded which I think your 200+ would be. The guys I've known who sailed these were well under that and the boat was still pretty slow.

It was designed to compete with the Hobie Wave and with light crew it was faster than the Wave. There were some big name beachcat sailors promoting the class for a while and a lot of boats were sold in a short time.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Thanks Damon, that's what I suspected.
  • You'll be fine on the H17, even though it's ideal race crew weight is well less than 200 you will be fine with it.

Get on the water! The season is going fast.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.