Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

add a traveler?  Bottom

• I have a straight venture 15. The boom hooks to a set of blocks in the center of the back beam. Would there be any advantage to adding a traveler. I only sail on the puddles around this part of Wisconsin. Never race . Half the time solo. The other half with my 13 and 10 year old. Money is an object. My wife has a Hobie 14 with a traveler. My cat carries more weight though.

Edited by goldwingnut on Apr 16, 2014 - 06:48 PM.

--
    78 Hobie 14 (buried in the garage)
    75 Venture 15 (love it)
    --
  • goldwingnutI have a straight venture 15. The boom hooks to a set of blocks in the center of the back beam. Would there be any advantage to adding a traveler. I only sail on the puddles around this part of Wisconsin. Never race . Half the time solo. The other half with my 13 and 10 year old. Money is an object. My wife has a Hobie 14 with a traveler. My cat carries more weight though.Edited by goldwingnut on Apr 16, 2014 - 06:48 PM.

I'd say no. The boat and sail were designed without one so no reason to try an invent something.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I'd agree with Damon, I don't think there are a lot of equipment upgrades that would give a great return on that boat. Maybe new sails, or better rudders, but both would be expensive, money you'd not see back when you sell. I'd advise sailing it as is for as long as you're enjoying it, and then upgrade to a more sophisticated design. Have fun!

Dave
  • That's about what I thought. I got a brand new sail 2 years ago. Ii has a 3 inch shorter foot but a roach. It had a 3 inch mouse hole in it which I sewed up. $125. This winter I sewed up a furling jib sail.

--
    75 Venture 15 (love it)
    --
  • You could add a vang pretty cheaply.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I have the original vang. Would it make a big difference or would it just take up space?

--
    75 Venture 15 (love it)
    --
  • If your not using it now, yes it would make a difference downwind. Basically you would sheet with the vang and then use the main sheet as a traveler.

If you want a traveler, it seems a Hobie 16 system could also be had pretty cheap or free.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.