Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Been Sailing Yet This Year?  Bottom

• If not, when will you be able to start? I'm talking local sailing in your area.

In the midsouth it varies each year, usually between March and April. Was down at the local lake yesterday and thought I might get out, temps nice in the upper 70's, but the wind was absolutely howling 25+ with gusts. So figured I wouldn't make that my first sail of the year. icon_razz

Who's been out and who is still waiting?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Still racing keelboats at GMSC in Little Rock. Our catamaran / centerboard season kicks off in May.
  • My sons and I have been out twice on Monterey Bay in California... Weather was nice both days... Light winds... Lots of fun... Lost my younger son (21 years old) overboard while he was trying to get out on the trapeze for the first time... Got him back quickly though... Didn't have to leave a trail of breadcrumbs for him to follow or anything like that... Second time out we flipped the boat once... Got it back up quickly and easily... Really happy to have wetsuits, though. The water is pretty chilly here... Pretty scenery... No crowds... Whee!

--
    Mike
    1975 Prindle restoration project "Sanchah"
    Retired Teacher
    Newbie Sailor
    --
  • I skied last weekend. I was technically on water, albeit frozen water :)

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • peterk123I skied last weekend. I was technically on water, albeit frozen water :)

Same here. I've had my final cross-country ski last weekend. Now, we have mountain biking season, here in BC. My first sailing is not until the water in the lake gets around 12C (54F), which is due at the beginning of the May. Can' wait. icon_biggrin

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • Water temperature at Annapolis Buoy 53F. If air temperature gets above 70 need to find crew with a wetsuit and will try to get out this weekend. Wind has been great lately and am itching to get out for first time this year.
    Planning to replace trap lines, forestay, and traveler prior to going out. Waiting for order form Murrays.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • We've got a couple regattas under our belts already this year. I would have liked to have started much earlier.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • [quote]I would have liked to have started much earlier./quote]
    For some reason the weather here in my area ( mid south ) tries to get warm and then its back to raining and 40* temps... its getting old, ready to be on the water. Even at hobie mid winters on the gulf coast it stayed cold and rainy all weekend..... don't think it ever got warmer than 59* Add rain plus cold water and a wetsuit! Only got 4 hrs sailing this year so far.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • The temps plummet down to low 30's today and got about 1"-2" of fresh snow icon_eek . Water in Lake Michigan is in low 40's. It's depressing icon_mad . Thankfully my drysuit was repaired very quickly by Stolhquist and is ready to go. I hope, I will be sailing by Memorial day.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • I got the boat in the water on March 15th this year, going out for sure this weekend as I have the Mug Race coming up on May 3rd.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • I have been out several times so far this year. Planning to go Saturday, maybe in Sarasota Bay. Get the Dart flying. Just put new springs on the trailer and did some cosmetics on the starboard hull. Water is in the chilly mid 70's. I prefer the upper 80's!
    Dan
    Bradenton, FL
  • Got a half dozen days on ice, and a week landsailing south of Vegas in March. Unwrapped the SC20 and the F16 last weekend, but it snowed all day Saturday. Should get the 16 wet this week, temps in the 60s and lots of breeze in the teens and twenties in the spring here in the Pacific NW. Definitely drysuit weather for the next couple of months though. Season on!

Dave
  • Not yet, water is 47, a bit chilly to say the least. Pulling boats out of the barn today, unstacking and washing. Wax, inspect and do a few things this week. Good news is two boats, bad news is two boats worth of work. Went to Lake Perry on Saturday for club opening so things are looking a lot better! Cheers Ricardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • QuoteI skied last weekend. I was technically on water, albeit frozen water :)

Me too. Monday the air was 21C (70F), we spent one last day bashing moguls, interspersed with cold beers on the patio.
    It is not nearly as good as the thigh deep heli skiing we did at my Western place in March...but there is something to be said for skiing sans hat/gloves, in a T shirt.
    Just thinking about how to setup the new aluminum docks, boats won't go in til 1st or 2nd week of May. Have to modify a lift to hold the 20' x 10' Mystere 6XL

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Had my 16 on the Sea of Cortez, flyin a hull, on the weekend before St. Pattys day!!
  • Boat is hooked up to the truck. Going to the local lake for a first sail. It is a balmy 55, nice cool nw Canadian breeze, and 45-50 degree water temps. Should be interesting.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • Our first regatta of the season is always the leukemia cup on lake pleasant mid January. My buddy Manny found out that if you wear a shorty, you turn a terrible shade of purple.
    We finished up the 5 race spring series two weekends ago, starts in early February. The last couple races are usually a little warm for a shorty wetsuit, have to dunk a couple times to cool off.
    Here's the problem. By July, it's (yes, you heard it here), too hot to go to the lake!!! icon_eek
  • Fired up High Voltage, the F16 Stealth, yesterday, in sunny, 60 degree weather. Breeze was 5 to 25, so quite a test as a season opener. Only sent the crew around the forestay once, so he considered it a good day! Water temps still mighty chilly, but the goal, as always, is to stay out of it. More wind predicted for today.........

Dave
  • Good day for a test run. Worked out all the rigging bugs. Finally got the boat in the water. Wife was a no go but my daughter was a willing participant. 55 degrees, water probably colder and winds from 10 to 30mph. We did a lot pinching in an effort to keep the boat relatively flat. We wanted to stay dry for now :) All good and everything seemed to work nicely.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • The ice went off the lake thursday the 10th so I am sure the water is cold, hope to get the H18 out first of May but will be wearing the dry suit for sure when I go.
    Jay

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.