Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Leech reinforcement on furling jib with UV tape  Bottom

• I am planning to do some leech reinforcement on my furling jib that got beat up on mast spreader last season and I am thinking about using UV resistant tape. The other goal is to be able to eliminate the need for the jib snorkel.
    Is this a good idea?
    How wide the tape should be and does it have to be on both sides of the jib or only on the outside?
    Is the same width used on the foot of the sail?

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • Fix the leech if needed but a snorkel will deal with the uv much better. I made my own for less the $50 and a couple of hours.
  • windadictThe other goal is to be able to eliminate the need for the jib snorkel.
    Is this a good idea?

How much do you leave the jib furled? Leaving the jib furled for any length of time causes damage as you've seen. UV resistant isn't UV proof so maybe less damage. But the real way to extend the life of your (expensive) jib is to take it down when you aren't sailing.

The furler wasn't meant to be a permanent storage spot for the sail.

Jib snorkel/socks might shield the sail from some UV damage but can CAUSE other damage with extended use and adds extra crap you have to deal with.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    How much do you leave the jib furled? Leaving the jib furled for any length of time causes damage as you've seen. UV resistant isn't UV proof so maybe less damage. But the real way to extend the life of your (expensive) jib is to take it down when you aren't sailing.

The furler wasn't meant to be a permanent storage spot for the sail.

Jib snorkel/socks might shield the sail from some UV damage but can CAUSE other damage with extended use and adds extra crap you have to deal with.

I usually keep my boat mast up on the beach from mid May to early November. The jib is furled and under the snorkel but as you said, its extra crap that I have to deal with and now want to eliminate. I know that many sailors keep their jibs furled with no snorkels, only with the UV resistant tape protecting from the exposure.

The damage to the leech is from the spreader bars rather than UV exposure. Additional cost for the leech repair with UV tape is minimal so if it works for others, it should work for me.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • windadict
    The damage to the leech is from the spreader bars rather than UV exposure. Additional cost for the leech repair with UV tape is minimal so if it works for others, it should work for me.

Definitely common on big boats with furling jibs, so why not. Let us know how it works out, might turn out to be the way to go for folks who are lucky enough to keep their boats rigged and on the beach.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Yeah, try it! If it works and you tell us about it you'll be a hero!

Dave
  • QuoteThe damage to the leech is from the spreader bars rather than UV exposure.

It might be obvious, but do you have "rollers" on the stays, just above the spreader bars?
    Also wrap the spreader ends well with tape, much cheaper & better than the $6 end caps they sell.
    The original Nacra rollers were fairly small, when we replaced rigging on the 5.0 we used larger,(appx 3") ones. Got them at West Marine for $16. They sort of snap on, you don't have to remember to put them on the wire before you swage the end fittings.
    We use a UV strip on both the 5.7 & 5.0. It is sewn onto the jib, full length of leech & foot. It only goes on 1 side, doesn't matter which, just wind the furling drum so it ends up on the outside. Has been on the 5.7 for 3 years now.
    Both boats are left fully rigged, including blocks, all season, except for the main. Jib is dacron, & hasn't grow any mildew.
    I just fully furl, wrap the furling line twice around the mast & tie, then tie a safety line. wrapping the main line prevents it from ever coming out of the cleat. The safety line stays on the jib clew, it will just trail when sailing, & you don't have to look for it when putting the boat to bed.
    UV strip is about 10" wide, I can measure it for you next week...just heading out to Vegas for 5 days, going to do a road trip around Death Valley.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=88356&g2_serialNumber=4
    As you can see, the strip can be quite narrow near the foot. however as you go higher, more of the jib is exposed, requiring a wider strip. I think the sail loft just used the same width all the way as it was easier to cut/sew.

Edited by Edchris177 on Apr 16, 2014 - 08:13 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • with your jib furled as usual, mark the exposed part with a pencil... and have some sacrificial material stitched onto it about an inch more... you could use sailcloth, dacron... even white... you could even use seamstick and sew it yourself... not a huge job, but saves your jib. snorkels are good, but if they're too tight you can't get them up the jib... and if they're too loose they flap in the wind, that sets up a rhythem that gets your whole rigging and your whole boat rocking.... all day... alll night... not ideal... just make sure your jib is snug and tied off well so big winds don't unfurl a part of it and go to town trashing it... icon_smile

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.