Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 1977 rigging  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Sorry to interrupt. I recently acquired a prindle 16 1977 pretty well maintained. I found the rigging guide for most prindles on the internet, but there are still things that I can't understand and it is preventing me from using the cat now. I do not undersatnd what to do from the jib clew up to everywhere it may go. Also, I do not understand what to do with the rear sliding block. Is there any very detailed pictures available for these two items? Thanks a lot for your help, I can't wait to hit the water. Sorry for my english, I am used to speak french...

JT
  • The rear sliding block sounds a lot like the mainsheet traveler. I've seen arrangements similar to how my old Prindle was set up on even older boats, so I'm guessing it's the same on your '77 Prindle.

The mainsheet and traveler sheet on my Prindle were one and the same. The end of the mainsheet passes through the cam cleat at the centerline of the rear crossbar, through the pad-eye behind that, through the center of the traveler car, and finally through the pad-eye on the rear of the rear cross-bar. You then tie a stopper knot to hold that end in place.

The traveler can be let out by uncleating that cam-cleat and feeding it line. Bring it back in by pulling on the line and cleating again. This makes for a nice arrangement for whoever's on main (typically the skipper, though some skippers like to hand the mainsheet to their crew as well.)

As far as I know the jib sheet setup on the Prindle didn't change much over the years. I could be wrong on that of course, but a number of other boats are set up in a similar fashion. Have you taken a look at the Prindle manual? There's a copy here on The Beach Cats:

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=75669

Let us know if that helps, or if you still have questions.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=63029

Try this link for mainsheet line rigging, hope it helps........ top

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Thanks for your help. I really appreciate latest pictures. Anything similar for jib clew end? Thanks again
  • There should be two bullet blocks that attach to the jib clew with a single shackle. Here's the page from the manual that shows this:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75743&g2_serialNumber=6

The rest of the jib sheet arrangement is shown on an earlier page:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75858&g2_serialNumber=6

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • Thanks Tom,
    What confuses me in the latest instructions is that my older prindle don't have the anchor in hulls for these bridle wires.the hulls do not have ports either. I may be looking for much older instructions

Regards

Jt
  • Thanks Tom,
    What confuses me in the latest instructions is that my older prindle don't have the anchor in hulls for these bridle wires.the hulls do not have ports either. I may be looking for much older instructions

Regards

Jt
  • Jt, you lost us in your last response, and we understand that english is not your 1st language, so please be patient with us. The bridal wires are the 2 cables attached to the bow of the prindle using an anchor bar under the lip and a bow tang. The bridal wires are joined together using a bell shackle, usually the forestay is connected to the bridal wires at the bell shackle. The jib is attached to the forestay of the Prindle using the zipper pocket on the leading edge (luff), once the jib is raised and secured, then you attach the jib lines to the trailing corner (clew) using smaller clew blocks, at the clew plate. The jib lines are controlled by the jib blocks that are laying across the tramp.

Now if you were talking about the jib block bridle wire, also known as a "pigtail", look at pages 6 & 7 of the Prindle manual, notice that the pigtail wire is attached to the hulls through a small hole in the deck where there is a cutout in the tramp, newer boats have a port situated where the cutout in the tramp is located. In the pic at the top right of page 6, there is no port, so that must be how your P16 looks, page 6 explains how to join the port and starboard pigtails together using 3/16 line. If you can locate those small holes in the deck at the tramp cutout and there are no jib bridle wires, then you have a problem, someone in the past cut them off and to replace them if you have no ports will be almost impossible. You might just get lucky and someone pushed the pigtail back into the hull leaving just the thimble sticking out, if so pull the jib bridle wire out on both sides and follow instructions on page 6 & 7, but don't forget to seal hole where pigtail exits hull using silicone.

The jib blocks will then attach to these pigtails at the thimble as shown on page 7 with 1 small correction, the jib bridle wires are joined together using 3/16 line as shown on page but do not use a shackle, join them together directly at the thimble, the tear drop shaped loop on the end of the pigtail, the shackle is used to connect the jib block to the thimble.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87387&g2_serialNumber=4

If your jib block bridle wires have indeed been cut off sometime in the past, one suggestion will be to go with a tang and anchor bar setup to replace your pigtails:-

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87372&g2_serialNumber=4

but you would have to relocate this pigtail anchor to the deck lip.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Thank you so much for your help and sorry for mixing you up by using the wrong terms.

The pig tail anchors holding the jib blocks are my problem. I read in an older post that on such older Prindles with no pigtail anchor, I should attach the pigtails on the shrouds anchors. That's why I was mixed up by more recent instructions. I will follow instructions but attach pigtail anchor wires to shroud anchors (where it could make sense).

I think all is clear for me now, I need to assemble all this in the driveway when there is no wind to make sure I understand everything prior to go to the beach.

Thanks again.

JT
  • p16rookie Sorry for my english, I am used to speak french...

JT

JT, welcome to TheBeachcats.com. Could you please introduce yourself and let us know where you plan to sail? You might even find here a local beachcat sailor who could help.

There are instructions in my signature for creating your own signature and avatar, as well as instructions for uploading photos of your boat.

Good luck,

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks for your interest Damon. I am located in Quebec city. I anticipate to sail at Baie de Cap-Rouge initially to but will end up at Lake Pohenegamook (QC) for most of the time.

Thanks for this great site and I will soon share pictures once I hit the water.

Regards,

JT
  • Does you 1977 P16 have ports just behind the from beams? My 1976 does not but I am not sure what year that changed. If you have no ports then you will not have a pigtail bridle that goes through the hull like everyone is telling you.

I do not have all the rigging for the 1976 P16 that I have so I cannot tell you exactly how it goes but I think that there are similar bridles that connect to the shrouds on the side instead of through the hull. Do you have any such small cables that came with it that could shackle to the shrouds?

Also see below for a diagram of the jib sheet layout

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76593&g2_serialNumber=4
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=76587

This is for a Hobie 16 but the idea is the same only the blocks are not on the beam.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10634&g2_serialNumber=9

Edited by Quarath on Jul 25, 2012 - 12:33 PM.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Dustin,

I do not have ports on this 1977 Prindle 16. From looking at older posts, I realized that these pigtail wires will be attached to the shrouds since they have no specific anchor in my old hulls. I do not find this elegant, but this is they way it was... I also have the small cables. Thanks for your help and these pictures are great.

JT
  • Nothing is elegant about he jib sheet placement on the Prindles unfortunately

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • QuoteI also have the small cables.

Tell me how long those are pull to pull mine is missing them and I may need to make some.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Dustin, I will take a picture and measure it for you when I will be back home tonight.

JT
  • Dustin,

Here is the picture of the pigtail. When straightened the pigtail is 18.5 inches long excluding shackle but including loops:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=88611&g2_serialNumber=4
  • Thanks

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • How long should each pigtail be on a prindle 15? Could u install jib blocks on the front beam or will this negatively effect performance on the p15? Thanks

--
    Frank
    Prindle 15/Hobie 16/Hobie 14T
    --
  • Just replace the most bottom clevis pin on the shroud attachment with a bow shackle and attach the wire jib pigtail to the shackle, you could also use some high-tech line instead.
    Then connect the ends of the 2 pigtails with another line and run through the grommets in the center of the tramp and tighten.
    There should be a series of grommets in the center of the tramp. The middle one is for moderate winds
    The furthest aft if for heavy winds and forward is for lighter winds
    This was the original way for the early Prindles

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.