Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Daytona Beach  Bottom

• Heading down to DB August 3rd through August 10th, want to take my G-Cat 5.0 down and need advice on municipality bylaws in the DB area. Want to leave G-Cat on beach, permit required? also will I need to store my trailer and/or does it need a permit. On my last vacation to Singer Island/Palm Beach Shores, I could not leave my trailer parked on private property at the resort I was staying. Also want to meet up with local sailors who know the area/conditions.

Will be staying at:-

Marine Terrace,
    1018 North Atlantic Avenue,
    Daytona Beach, FL 32118

Turbo

icon_cool

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Just in time for Gilligans Run.
    http://www.fleet80.com/GilligansRunInfo2012.shtml
    Really fun distance race starting and ending from Perrys. A great time and you will meet a lot of the local sailors. Beer and famous fish fry included in registration. There are a lot of non serious sailors as well as the top racers. Great chance to meet up with the locals.

Where you are staying is within a drive zone on the beach so no problem driving on the beach and setting up your cat. The cost to drive on the beach is $5 per day but I think they offer a week pass for out of towners.Pay when you drive on the beach.
    You can leave the boat on the beach(no permit required) but not the trailer. Check with the hotel for a place to park it. Most places do not have a problem with trailers. Beach driving is from 8am to 7pm but they try to get the cars off the beach by 6:30. Don't be late, they will ticket. Do not leave your cat tracks under the boat at night. And consider bring something to use as a tie down incase of a good thunder storm. I would not leave sails/main block/hotstick on boat at night.
    Hope this helps.
  • beachsailor, thanks for the feedback, just got an e-mail from Volusia County Beach Patrol:-

Good afternoon Mr. .......

A catamaran is permitted on the beach. When pulling a boat you need to
    observe all normal driving and parking rules. That is, you need to park
    your vehicle and take the boat/boat dolly to the water's edge to launch
    it, returning the boat dolly to the parking area.

You may keep your cat on the beach during the day, as long as you
    locate it so that the sail does not block the view between lifeguard
    towers (i.e., don't pull between two lifeguard towers).

Cats may stay overnight, but the trailer must be removed before the
    beach closes to traffic, which is 7 p.m. Also, the cat needs to be pull
    your cat near the upland area, avoiding any turtle nests or protected
    dune vegetation (please consult www.volusia.org -- Beach Safety --
    Habitat Conservation Plan , etc.)

I hope you enjoy your time on the 'World's Most Famous Beach"!
    515 S. Atlantic Avenue
    Daytona Beach, FL 32118
    V: 386.239.6414, ext. 231
    E-: mcford@co.volusia.fl.us

Checked with the resort I'm staying at and they have no space to park trailer, will have to work on that one, might have to store trailer for the week. Put the word out to Halifax Sailing Association, just waiting to hear back from them, if it turns out that it's too much hassle/cost to take cat, will just rent a couple of longboards and do some surfing.

Turns out that ZackPurdue from this forum is down in Melbourne and has some cat trax for sale, just what I need, so either way, if everything works out, this looks to be a fun vacation week....... ficktmich oh yeah!

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Sounds to me like you need to find another place to stay. Perrys is great and they tend to be cat friendly. Great family resort. They have a large overflow lot that you can leave your trailer. Plus other cats to sail with. It seems to be the new sport for the locals to launch. Give Steve Caron a shout. He is the fleet 80 commador and involved with Halifax Sailing Center. His email is on the Fleet 80 site.
    http://www.fleet80.com/
  • Would if I could, all fees have already been paid upfront, but I will contact Steve, thanks..... prost

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • beachsailor, are you registered for Gilligan's Run?

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Not yet. Need to do that today. I sail a Mystere 6.0 with wings(and cooler). Comfort Cruiser.
  • I have never sailed a regatta before, am thinking of doing Gilligan's Run just for the fun, but what do you suggest for a greenhorn, any advice? ......... denk

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Be close to the start line at the one minute flag; don't have to be in front row, but close & not going away from line. Pete
  • Thanks Pete, what about gear?

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • This is a great race to newbies. Pretty much just up the beach and back. Most days it will be an east wind going south as the day goes on. So it is usually a nice down wind ride home. If you are not used to sailing out thru surf get with one of the locals for some pointers. Good news is that a GCat is one of the better surf boats. Take a handheld VHF or cel(water tight container and not a bad idea to keep on the boat anytime you are in the ocean) just in case you have problems and need a hand. If you do run into problems it is easy to sail to the beach and get things sorted. There will be many H16s so you should always have company to sail in and since it is an up and back there will almost always be other boats around. Take plenty of fluids and possibly some energy bars. PFDs are required and suggested to be worn. If you have a watch with a stop watch feature it helps with the start. Or do what I do and just follow everyone else across the starting line. It's a distance race so the start is not crucial for us casual sailors. The race usually take 3-4 hours. Registration includes beer and dinner(famous fleet 80 fish fry), This alone is worth the registration. Skippers meeting at 11 and start at noon(short delay if the seabreeze has not kicked in). Make sure you attend the skippers meeting. They will explain the starting sequence and the course.
    Since you will be arriving Friday why not just set up at Perrys Saturday morning do the race and leave the boat on the beach at Perry's Sat night. Then sail the boat down to where you are staying on Sunday(about a 30 min sail), with a stop at the Ocean Deck for lunch on the way.
    I will be sailing my boat down Friday afternoon. Then sailing out of Perry's for the weekend.

Edited by beachsailor on Jul 24, 2012 - 11:47 AM.
  • Sounds like a great idea, see you there....... biggthumpup

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • So here we are in Daytona Beach and everything worked out great, the hotel next to Marine Terrace is closed for renovation and allowed me to park my boat and trailer there. Arrived Friday PM checked in, next morning drove down to Perry's Ocean Edge Resort for Gilligan's Run, Parked on the beach and setup boat. There were more cats and sailors in that stretch of beach than I've seen in all my years of sailing, F16's, F18's, something called a Marstrom, H18's, H16's. So we launch through the surf, intimidating, but my years of surfing come in handy, mill around at the start not too sure what to do so just hang out at the back and watch the other boats, siren sounds 2 or 3 times, some sort of flag, and we're off, wind is only about 8mph so there is no spinning of wheels.

Well I'm on my way upwind to the bouy and this stupid Marstrom boat passes me on the downwind leg, going faster than there is wind, ridiculous. We gybe around the bouy with no hassle and set off down wind, the sea has 6-8 ft swells running and after 1/2 hr my daughter whispers in my ear "Dad I feel really sick", so we break off from the "race" and head back to beach. But from the ocean the myriads of hotels all look the same, takes us about 1/2 hr of tacking up the beach to find our spot. I'm really weary of running in onto the beach through the waves but select a large wave and run in behind it, make it to the beach and pull the G-Cat up the beach. We sit there catching our breath and that stupid Marstrom boat pulls up just outside the breakers, 1st boat back, I just shake my head, I dont think they were even flying a jib.

So all-in-all, a great experience, got to sail in a "regatta" 1st time in my life, met Steve Caron, commodore of Hobie Fleet 80, also bumped into "SuperCat Craig", he took me sailing when I was down on Singer Island last year. Although we did not complete the race I had the satisfaction of knowing I was not the last boat before we pulled out of the race, made it both out and back in through some strong surf without flipping the cat, now if I could just get my hands on one of those stupid Marstroms for around $2000 instead of $20 000.......... ficktmich2

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • 20K would be cheap for that boat. glad you survived that nice little squal going to the first mark. Bertween the surf and the puffs it got a litttle sporty going around the mark.
    Sorry we did not have a chance to meet. You still in the area or already headed home?
  • Still here beachsailor, going out for a sail right now, was that you sitting offshore before any of the boats hit the water, looked like you just sailed up from somewhere south? (573) 673-5196 (c)

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • that marstrom is a big competitor in florida events. i saw him at the mug race as well.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • No I was on the beach. I saw your boat and ment to come over and greet but got tied up in boat logistics. The boat out on the water was a stelleto 23. To bad about the Sunday weather. We had a bunch of boats that planned on hangging around and sailing Sunday but the weather just turned to #rap.(At least by Florida standards). It was bad enough that I decided not to sail the boat home and just put it on the trailer. With a little luck I should be out Friday thru the weekend. Hope you are enjoying the town. Make sure you get to the Ocean Deck.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.