Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 vs nacra 5.2 vs hobie 16  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Im looking for a boat to just sail very fast and fun with less set up, for two people. I am very experienced but I cant seen to decide between a hobie 18, nacra 5.2, it a hobie 16?
  • I've got a Nacra 5.2, but have never sailed on another cat. It takes 2 people about 30-45 minutes to set up once you know what you're doing.

I would also seriously consider a Prindle 16 or 18. Where I live, prindle 16s can be had for very cheap, and they are evidently really durable.

Now what I want is a boat where the tiller runs inside of the mainsheet and traveler... Also a system where the boat could be set up and launched by one person.
  • Where do you sail? Who is your crew?

The H18 is a beast to sling around the beach alone. A H16 is no problem at all.

There are a ton of boats in between. Setup is the same so long as you are not talking a spinnaker boat.

A getaway is the fastest to rig... But they are slugs... Good for families with little kids and as a rescue boat.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • Can you fit 3 people on your nacra? I heard they aren't very comfortable
  • if you want comfort... look for a boat with wings. H17... H18 ...Getaway ... some H20s. There are only a couple Nacras that have wings ... like the 6.0, they are pretty rare.

My Nacra is meant to be double trapped. It has a lot of sail area and a spinnaker to boot. If its blowing 10 knots you can putter around with 3 people, else double trap. When the wind gets to 25 knots.. you put the third person back on. Is it a wet boat yes, but I sail on Lake Michigan, a C&C 30 can be a wet boat out there. Dry suits and full wetsuits except in July and August.

Again, what kind of sailing do you want to do? These boat are light ... between 290 lbs and 450 lbs. crew weight and sail area are everything.

If you go in big wind with 3 people .. a H18 (with wings) is a good bet maybe you can find a H20. These boat weight over 400 lbs though. You might be able to rig alone... some can, some cannot.
    If you sail single handed, but sometimes have crew and sometimes that crew is your 100 lb kid, get a H16... A Nacra 5.2 is slightly more boat than a H16, but not by much. These boats can be rigged by one person.
    If you want speed get an F18 or a Nacra 20 or a Tornado or a Nacra 5.8 or something like that. I sail single handed on my boat up to about 15 knots ... then I absolutely need crew and it's a very fine line between showing off and swimming.
    Prindles are in there somewhere too. I don't need those guys ragging on me.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • I sail 3 up on my Nacra 20 quite often, I do not see how its any less comfortable than any other boat without wings.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • i have a 5.2 and love it, sail mostly solo on a mountain lake

hate my friends h16, won't tack, won't point, pitchpoles too easily and battened jib always gets hunbg up in light air which is a pain to fix sailing solo

haven't tried the h18, seems to have the same rating as the 5.2 and another 100?lbs
  • Thanks for all the tips guys! I think I am now looking into a hobie 18 that looks like tw best bet for me.
  • How long will a hobie 18 take to rig?
  • 20min with a helper

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • a big factor is can you leave it with the mast up or are you off of the trailor every time...mast up get big boat-off trailor get 16'(prindle prefered!)

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Does a hobie 18 pitchpoll easily?
  • Put your crew far enough forward and bear off a little in a nice breeze and they all pitchpole.

Nothing like a good Peter Pan.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • If you want to carry people by all means stay away from the 5.2. I love my boat but it doesn't tolerate a lot of weight. On the other hand with the crew weight around 300 pounds it will take off, and as someone said on a Hobie you keep your eyes focused on the leward hull. On a nacra you can enjoy the scenery.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • But on the other hand I am enrolled in the Coastrat School of Catamaran Economics. Take the best deal, they are all good boats and a lot of fun. (but corallary #1 may also apply There is no such thing as a free boat)

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • 18's can pitchpole but is a little rare. Ive only had one close call with my 18 in 5 years. Id go with Hobie 18 with wings. Super comfortable, pretty fast, durable and can be found cheap. I got my 18 for 900$, with almost new trailer and catbox. Then I got the wings for 360$ I am planning on buying another 18 for parts for only 500

--
    ALLEY CAT 1984 RED LINE HOBIE 18 MAGNUM
    Sail # 10505 or 277
    San Diego, Ca
    --
  • bachoI sail 3 up on my Nacra 20 quite often, I do not see how its any less comfortable than any other boat without wings.

Of course "comfort" on a beachcat is very subjective. I'd consider the Nacra 20 one of the most comfortable beachcats, giant relatively uncluttered tramp (especially for a spin boat).

At the other end of the scale I'd put the Hobie 20 which seems to have blocks and cleat everywhere the crew wants to sit or crawl, and any boat with barberhaulers or a center beam in the middle of the tramp.

Most comfortable of all are the winged boats. Backrests in light air and you can put a passenger on each wing and sail the boat without them getting in the way or having to switch sides on tacks. I've taken my parents (mid 70's) out through the surf like that.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • ditto coastrat... will you keep the boat mast up or have to trailer all the time... with or without help?

All the boats are great and you'll like them. speed is relative... relative to what everyone else is sailing... if you're the only cat on the water you'll be fastest... if you have a hobie 16 and everyone else has nacra 20s... you'll hate life.

For best combo of price/durability/fun/performance/comfort I'd second the Hobie 18 with wings. It's rugged, comfy with wings... fast enough for street cred at a race, not prone to pitchpoling... you can solo it... or take 3 folks out... doesn't break the bank. moving on the beach is easy... I weigh 160 and don't have an issue w/the 400lb boat, and it's all about balance and leverage my friend. icon_smile

Edited by robpatt on May 02, 2012 - 11:28 AM.
  • Get a Hobie 18, I sail mine solo a lot and sail with up to 4 once in a while. Easy to rig, mast up or down, although stepping the mast takes a little grunt. If the distance is short leave all the rigging on it and then just put the stick up. The 18 is like a cadillac compared to a 16, I have sailed both a lot, never ever pitched the 18. I have a 5.5 only to race, it is a solo boat with a kite, I prefer the 18 for fun sailing.

Personally I would stay with the Hobie brand, more parts more knowledge, more availability. Nothint wrong with P boats but they never sold like Hobie did. HTH, Ricardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • QuotePut your crew far enough forward and bear off a little in a nice breeze and they all pitchpole.

Nothing like a good Peter Pan.

Every cat can pitchpole. Have you seen the AC 45s? or the Extreme 40s? It's not a question if if... but when. When you pitchpole ...
    [*] accept that this is really happening
    [*] try not to hit anyone / anything as you fly around if you were trapped out.
    [*] try really hard not to get wrapped up in the fore stay (very bad)
    [*] when you come up start swimming for the boat, as you are on the windward side and the boat is being blown away from you

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.