Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Extracting broken screws from rotomolded hull  Bottom

• Hey guys!

I have little problem with "new" to me Hobie Wave. Two screws that holding rudder mounts broken. Any idea how to extract them without damaging hull?

http://www.korobov.com/ebimages/top.jpg

http://www.korobov.com/ebimages/bottom.jpg

Thanks,

Andrew

--
    Andrew
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A lot of great surfers were ruined by family and steady job.
    --
  • ~~ SAWSALL~~ ok, sorry bout that... just being funny!!!! How did that happen??? HMMMMMM ?? I use "Bosch" titanium drill bits. They work the best for me...... drill into it and try a 'easyout'..... that might be yer best bet. Someone else could chime in here...
    Andrew ~~~ welcome to the cat club !!!!!!!! prost

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Extract with tool as mentioned. If the holes should wallow, then use West Systems' G-Flex to repair. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS, INCLUDING THE HEAT/ALCOHOL TREATMENT.

G-Flex is the bomb. I've used it to repair plastic extrusion on a furler for my trimaran.

You don't have to take my word for it
    http://www.westsystem.com…-chainsaw-kayak-massacre
  • Is there some kind of inserts or those screws just screwed into plastic body? Is heating that area with heatgun may help to extract screws or this is bad idea?

--
    Andrew
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --
  • popeyez7How did that happen??? HMMMMMM ??

I dont't know, I bought it like this.

popeyez7Andrew ~~~ welcome to the cat club !!!!!!!! prost

Thanks!

--
    Andrew
    --
  • As I always say: if something could go wrong, it would. Extractor broken inside of that screw. I guess I have to drill out that bolt completely and try to thread for bigger size bolt. icon_frown

--
    Andrew
    --
  • motogonAs I always say: if something could go wrong, it would. Extractor broken inside of that screw. I guess I have to drill out that bolt completely and try to thread for bigger size bolt. icon_frown

Sounds like how my repairs usually go. icon_mad

Is that the port or starboard hull? If it's the starboard and you completely screw it up you could get a brand new one here.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…wave-starboard-hull.html

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • A friend of mine who works on power boats had similar problem Get a left handed bit it will back out on its own enough to grab with a vice grip and twist out
  • Get some advice from a good machine shop. The problem you now have is 10 times worse than what you started with.
    The easy out snapped because they are brittle, meaning hardened steel, way harder than the screw you were originally trying to back out. It is very difficult, using a hand held drill, to drill the easy out. The bit is going to want to wander off to the softer metal surrounding the easy out.
    You might have to remove the entire fitting, then file the stump square & turn it with vice grips.
    Those screws that may be corroded in place are generally easier to drill at nearly the full diameter of the screw shank, then run a tap through the hole, cutting new threads through any corrosion. The remains of the old screw will generally come out as you cut.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I fix it last week: used center punch to break easyout for pieces, drill out bolt completely, and tap new threads. It was bad idea to use easyout. Hobie used aluminum inserts in hulls which is bad design: aluminum + stainless steel + sea water=corrosion. There is no way to extract that old bolts, only possibility is to drill them out completely.
    Thank you all for your advises!

--
    Andrew
    --
  • Good to see you solved the problem, & that it didn't cost a fortune. The Wave is not a Nacra, but they are still lots of fun. I've spent quite few days on them in Antigua & Barbados.
    If you don't weight to much, & sail solo, you can get them to fly a hull.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.