Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

winter storage  Bottom

• It's about that time...
    For storage during the winter (mild here in Columbia, SC) is it ok to leave the Nacra on the ground or put it on the trailer?

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • Unless you want to dismantle it for winter workups, I would leave it on the trailer. If nothing else it makes it a one man job to move it around if the need arises. I doubt leaving it on the ground would adversely affect fiberglass, but I have an aversion to storing anything except dirt on the ground, besides then you have to manhandle it back on the trailer come spring, & you use up twice as much real estate.
    Remember how rough your boat looked after sitting in the weeds for a few years, sitting on the trailer has to be better.
    I would place a couple of 2x6s under the hulls from front roller to rear roller (if that is how your trailer is set up)so as to distribute the load more evenly. I don't think you get snow in SC, that has cause the rollers to crack the hulls of several cats.
    Remove all lines, blocks etc to prevent deterioration from the elements, loosen diamond wires & the tramp. I would also cover the tramp with some sort of cheap tarp to prevent weathering. Undo batten ties, dry sail & roll loosely.
    I want to do some work on mine over the winter, I spent all day Saturday organizing the garage at the cottage so as to get my power boat, daughters car & 5.7 inside. I built a rack up near the floor trusses in the basement & have one room large enough to hold the mast, entry through a basement window. My furling rig is going to be installed this winter, I swear to God!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • My boat is stored on the sand year around. I don't see any problem with it. Because of snow I remove the tramp completely, so it is just the hulls and cross bars spending the winter outside. The rest is stored indoors.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • u should not leave a cat where moisture can wick into your hulls
    sand is probably fine, but i wouldn't do it personally for the same reason.. if there is dirt in the sand or just below it, you could be sitting in water.
  • QuoteMy boat is stored on the sand year around

hey neighbor, where do you get that kind of service? north side Chicago right? do you pay for that? room for one more? i know there are a lot of cats on the beach at the dunes here. i would be surprised to find them there year round though...

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Wait,

"Winter storage in South Carolina"?

Usually when "winter storage" is mentioned with beachcats it's because if the boat wasn't "stored" (usually at least partly disassembled) it would be damaged by massive snow falls and sub-zero temperatures.

South Carolina is south of Memphis and I've never given a thought to "winter storage", boat sits on the trailer either mast up at the sailing club or road ready in my back yard.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Quotehey neighbor, where do you get that kind of service? north side Chicago right? do you pay for that? room for one more?

I store mine in Wilmette, with a hundred or so of her closest friends and relatives. It looked like they had a few extra spots all year at the beach. It is run by the park district, and is at Gilson sailing beach. They have both cat spaces and racks for small mono's or kayaks, also windsurf board storage. Yes I pay for the summer use/storage fee, and then there is another winter storage fee if you want to leave you boat on the beach. I don't have a place to store the boat, and the beach winter storage is actually cheaper then a storage lot. They store your mast indoors for you, if you leave your boat. Beach is closed from Nov 1 until the spring.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Mine is there too this winter Scott Keeping it in the driveway was asking for a kid or a boat to get hurt. Wilmette had at least 10 empty cat spaces in sections A-D. And yet another year, the only other Prindle sat without being set up. Some day I am tracking down the owner and making an offer.
    I took a job in Indianapolis, and now I am struggling: do I keep the boat up north, it is not likly I am selling the house. The sailboat lake here is pretty small for a beach cat, but big enough for j24 races. I would be turning more than reaching. I might be in the market for something like a 470 or two man scow that fits behind a Subaru Impreza and can be ramp launched for a southern boat.
  • Kenny, buy one of those wicked foiling Moths, 7 post video!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177Kenny, buy one of those wicked foiling Moths, 7 post video!

they have them with hard wings too :)
  • I need a catalyst to make friends in Indianapolis, Moths are way cool, but I would be looking for something that will plane with two men on it. Eagle Creek Reservoir is a sailing and paddling lake, but it just isn't huge (1/2 mile by 1.5 miles?). If the mast was short enough to get under the W 56th street bridge, the lake would be doubled, but I know J24s can't get under there, so the bridge must be less than 25 feet off the water. I've always wanted a scow too (something like this http://flint.craigslist.org/boa/1986849867.html), too many boats....

Sorry to 'jack the winter storage thread. Wrap the hulls in tarps, don't make a snow hammock by stretching the tarp over both hulls, snow is very heavy. That approach requires tarp cash though, personally I squirt a bunch of spray-on wax on the hulls, wipe it off, and hope for the best. I hope that makes it better.

Edited by kgatesman on Oct 28, 2010 - 07:06 AM.
  • sail in Indy, interest inH16,hh last 6 weeks, and a spot at LMSA ( Lake Monroe)you right about size and shame can't go N of 566th, but all the best wind comes over the levee from predomnt sw , n end much less wind,we have amixed group of sailors on EC,some hard core high wind, many primarily socail only, a group is planning on heading to different sites in Mich, big lake and other sites, if you are interested contact me, just bought Bimare HT 18 and may keep it it at EC, H 20 at Monroe
    kgatesman I need a catalyst to make friends in Indianapolis, Moths are way cool, but I would be looking for something that will plane with two men on it. Eagle Creek Reservoir is a sailing and paddling lake, but it just isn't huge (1/2 mile by 1.5 miles?). If the mast was short enough to get under the W 56th street bridge, the lake would be doubled, but I know J24s can't get under there, so the bridge must be less than 25 feet off the water. I've always wanted a scow too (something like this http://flint.craigslist.org/boa/1986849867.html), too many boats....

Sorry to 'jack the winter storage thread. Wrap the hulls in tarps, don't make a snow hammock by stretching the tarp over both hulls, snow is very heavy. That approach requires tarp cash though, personally I squirt a bunch of spray-on wax on the hulls, wipe it off, and hope for the best. I hope that makes it better.Edited by kgatesman on Oct 28, 2010 - 07:06 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.