Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

storage  Bottom

• I'm planning ahead to the sad day when I have to store my H-16 for the winter. It's a "new" used 1984 and probably was stored outside forever, but now that it's mine I'm taking care of her. I have a storage garage and want to store the boat inside, with hulls drained of course and mast removed. The way the garage is, I have to store the boat on it's side, or resting on hulls with bow upright (i.e. bows pointing towards roof). If possible, I'd like to keep the tramp attached to the hulls. Questions: would you recc taking off the rigging from the hulls and store on mast, or vice versa. Is it OK structurally to store on hulls either stern down (resting on blankets) or resting on side? Lastly, when can I move to Florida or Texas so I don't have to store my boat!

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --
  • QuoteQuestions: would you recc taking off the rigging from the hulls and store on mast, or vice versa.

Depends on how you end up storing it.. from the sound of your choice.. you have to remove the rigging and mast.. it really is not hard to remove/replace.

Is it OK structurally to store on hulls either stern down (resting on blankets) or resting on side?

i would think LOTS of padding.. pressure on the sides/sterns/etc is not a strong point of the boat and could lead to delamination.. or cracking ... or other??
    Quote Lastly, when can I move to Florida or Texas so I don't have to store my boat!

There is no shortage of houses on the market in FL..
  • yeah I figured the hull stress issue would be important, I also am considering rigging a couple of ropes to attach to crossbar and suspend Cat from these to roof with minimal weight on sterns. Or I may have to resort to the back yard option.. icon_frown

--
    eddiecat

Hobie 16 (restored)
    --
  • I have a similar storage question for my p18.

I might want to try hoist up to the top of my garage. I was thinking for me it would be easiest to run some sort of strap or something from front to back under the front and rear beam. Would having the hulls hanging from the beam attach point be toss much stress or am I better off just running a strap under the hulls front and back.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I would remove the rigging from both mast and boat and store. Only a couple pins to remove completely, that is what I do with my H18. I store my boat outside in the winter (Chicago area) with the tramp removed. Inside would be better but outside isn't going to destroy your 25 year old boat. One word of caution would be to keep the snow off the tramp since that can get heavy.

I forget but how hard is it to remove the tramp frame from a H16? Could you undo 4 bolts and take the tramp frame off and store the 2 hulls disconnected from the tramp? Then you might be able to hang the hulls on the wall or from the ceiling easier.

Or maybe you could store the boat with the bows up but supported from the tramp frame, so the hulls are not touching anything and the tramp frame is secured to the wall. Then the hull weight is held by the hull to tramp connections which are designed to take a load.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteOr maybe you could store the boat with the bows up but supported from the tramp frame, so the hulls are not touching anything and the tramp frame is secured to the wall. Then the hull weight is held by the hull to tramp connections which are designed to take a load.

Good call, i agree...

i also agree that if you can remove the bolts and get the tramp frame off ... you should.. but i know they typically need more than just a little "encouragement".. like dynamite and an encyclopedias worth of curses
  • thanks guys I think I'll take a closer look at the bolts and get the tramp off if possible. Failing that (and running out of curses) I might try hanging up, bows up and support from the tramp frame. I still got a few months to go before I have to look out for ice bergs on the lake...

--
    eddiecat

Hobie 16 (restored)
    --
  • eddiecatthanks guys I think I'll take a closer look at the bolts and get the tramp off if possible.

It may be worth a trip to your hobie dealer for help with the disassembly (at least freeing the bolts) if you have any difficulty... i have been soaking my beam bolts in BLASTOFF for weeks now... and terrified to turn/break one off inside the hull...
  • Using an impact tool is better than just twisting off with a wrench or ratchet.

For difficult nut/bolts you want that "tapping" action instead of a slow pull/twisting off.
  • [quote=TileMan5309]Using an impact tool is better than just twisting off with a wrench or ratchet.

agreed Andrew and TileMan. I don't think the bolts have ever been off.Thanks.

--
    eddiecat

Hobie 16 (restored)
    --
  • Here's how one clever member solved the space problem for winter storage. I know you mentioned leaving the frame attached, but since the boat is new to you it wouldn't hurt to disassemble it to inspect everything.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11246

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks Damon, that would be perfect. I'm going to try something like that

--
    eddiecat

Hobie 16 (restored)
    --
  • I did a similar thing with my trailer. I took the axle off and straped my trailer to the garage wall since I have mast up storage for my boat, so haven't needed the trailer in a couple years now.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.