Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

gib questions  Bottom

• Can you give me some input on doing a gybe I had a instructor say that most of the flip over come when doing that. so I allways tack. but, as a mono hull sailor it seems to be a great way to change derection. In a some what light wind and keep it sheeted in I think it would be hard to flip her .

edited by: WetSpot, May 12, 2009 - 05:59 PM
  • If your direction you where heading was down wind, why would you tack instead of gybe. I consider gybing one of the easiest things to do on a cat. Just start by setting your travler out about half way and let out some mainsheet, then unsheet the jib. Throw the tiller in the water behind the boat so it will be out of the way. Get on your knees facing aft and grab the tiller crossbar as far toward the leeward end as you can and start pulling, use your other hand and grab the mainsheet lines so you can help the main go over to the other side as the leech of the mainsail gets just a little past head to wind making sure THAT YOU LET GO OF THE TILLER CONNECTOR BAR as it comes over. Then go over to the new side and sit in a normal position so you can see where you nare heading and set your sails accordingly. This is just a way to get started gybing and you can perfect your way of doing it from there. Remember it is important for you to get your body over on the new windward side as the mainsail goes over to new leeward side.
  • Thanks for your intrest, Ill give it a try.
  • During the jybe, as you steer the boat deep (more straight downwind), you will slow down, don't let the boat stall completely out but you'll get a smoother and less dramatic movement of the boom if you carve the turn.

Pay attention to that boom! Downwind is when you can get clubbed in the head.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • also make sure your traveler is at least 1/2 way out... jybing with the traveler set for upwind (centered) is asking to capsize.

i fell through my sail doing that (after i capsized).

it does take some practice in heavy air... but isn;t that hard.
    you want to get a feel for when the boat will switch (boom goes overhead) so you can feather it out (via the tiller) and minamize the speed in which the boom (and traveler) go across
  • This is one that I have to disagree with Andrew on.

During a gybe, I center the traveller and pull the main sheet tight. This stops the sail from gaining any momentum as it changes sides and reduces the tendency of the boat to capsize.

Once across the wind, I quickly release the traveller, but keep the sheet relatively tight.

I learned this in my younger days when I sailed skiffs (I-14). The main is kept tighter than normal during downwind legs to provide additional support for the mast and prevent the chute from pulling the whole rig forward. Most of the downwind sail control is done with the outhaul and the traveller.

This may be the wrong downwind techique for a cat, but most problems that occur while gybing are a result of a sail that flips through the wind while not under control. Keeping the sail tight and to the center does two things. It depowers the sail since the wind can't move it to a point where it gets mavimum surface area and it prevents the sail from swinging 4 feet or more across the boat (traveller 1/2 way out).
  • I grab the main sheet lines between the blocks and help the main over to the other side. When it switches I slowly let it out to the traveler stops it. Sort of using my hand as a shock absorber.
  • HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE WITH ME!!!! lol

I understand what you are doing... you quickly release the traveler after the gybe... this reduces the momentum of the sail/boom... but you are risking powering up very fast (if your hand slips or the traveler doesn't release) and capsizing.

When i first got my supped up, hyper powerful Mystere, I used to do the same until i fell through my mainsail after a capsize. Then i learned how to soften the movement as Steve (skarr1) mentions above.

Also you mention keeping the mainsheet tight so the mainsail (leach) acts as a back-stay with the spinnaker up.
    YES! i agree... this is the correct method with a spin...

edited by: andrewscott, May 13, 2009 - 10:34 AM
  • I learned to gybe tightening the traveller on skiffs where being in the center of the boat after a gybe guarantees a swim. The cat is much more stable and allows you to grab the sheet without having to rely on your crew for weight balance.

When I sailed keel boats (in my youth), grabbing the main sheet just relocated me from one side of the boat to the other. The older fatter version of me may have more luck.
  • rpiper138The older fatter version of me may have more luck.

HAHA!!!!
  • Thanks guys for your input..... I will try it out this weekend and let ya know.
  • I keep the main in hand and let it out as the need requires. I never cleat in 10+ winds at any time. A controlled letting out of the sheet stops the momentum and shock of the main bottoming out in it's travel across the deck. Slam the main once... and you will instinctively understand the need for controlled restraint.

Gibing is fun and I prefer it most of the time. Smooth and fast and no irons.

• I also uncleat and manage the main during a jybe....

the time i fell through my main... was in very high winds (25-30).. and the traveler was SLAMMING into the ends of the track... so i centered the traveler... next jybe whooooooooooomp/splash. I had only had my new mystere a few weeks at that time and was not very used to it.

One more note about gybeing... it is important to have speed when doing a gybe... if you head up a little just before the gybe,.. you will speed up and if you match the wind speed ... your transition will be much less violent.
  • a lot will depend on your boat and wind strength

a low volume bowed boat like the hobie16 has much more chance of pitchpoling in a gybe than a high volume boat like a nacra

big winds more chance also

and a lot of weight too far forward on the tramp

worst situation, a hobie16 in 25knot winds with 3 people on and 2 of them sitting forward = pitchpole in a gybe

start in lighter winds and work your way up getting a feel for different wind strengths

keep your speed up in the gybes and try differing amounts of traveller

on my nacra 5.2 bringing the traveller during big wind gybes seems to stop any chance of a violent boom swing, but it must be done fast so boat speed is kept up and i'm always as far back as i can safely get

edited by: erice, May 14, 2009 - 05:32 PM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.