Broken Hobie Wave Comptip

Anyone ever fixed a broken Comptip? I can get a Wave with a broken CT. They are 700 to replace the tip alone., yike. Repair seems like a bad idea as sail channel will never be right.. Maybe easier to just buy an extrusion and have a one piece mast.

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
The comptip is just a fiberglass tube and anything fiberglass can be repaired with enough expertise.

Of course it depends on how it is broken and what you plan to do with the boat.

I believe I've heard that a Hobie 14 mast will work on a Wave, so that might be an alternative if you can find one.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
Call Key Sailing , they might have a used one 850-932-5520

--
Doug Klem
Pensacola , Fl.
Blade F16
Prindle 18-2 w/spin
Prindle 18-2 x 3
Prindle 19 MX
--
It all depends on the extent of the damage. How exactly is the mast broken? Is the comptip snapped in two pieces? Is it just cracked? Is the damage on the fiberglass section or the plastic luff track?

I have repaired cracked comptips and damaged luff tracks, so some repairs are possible. If the tip is broken in two pieces, then it is essentially not repairable and needs to be replaced.

sm
have one located in south florida
Hull flyer, PM sent

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
u can take a hobie 14 mast, cut it shorter and use it... w/o comptip, and remount the mast float... no shortage of beater h14s around with bad hulls.... just another option.

Edited by robpatt on Jan 27, 2017 - 12:39 PM.
robpattu can take a hobie 14 mast, cut it shorter and use it... w/o comptip, and remount the mast float... no shortage of beater h14s around with bad hulls.... just another option.

Rob, can he use the H14 top casting for the Wave?
Is there a change to the halyard necessary, like a nicopress stop?

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
I will look for a beater Hobie 14 close by. Not surprisingly, not many boats for sale this March in the midst of major blizzard and clean up. Only 74 more "fix up days" til Memorial Day weekend!

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
How about a complete Hobie 14 turbo on a trailer for $500 rather than the wave? There was an H14 turbo
in western Mass last week for $250 which lasted about 4 hours before someone offered $500 to hold it LOL.

https://newjersey.craigsl….org/boa/5994215462.html

Edited by pknapp66 on Mar 16, 2017 - 04:39 PM.

--
Pete Knapp
Schodack landing,NY
Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
--
I missed out on the $ 250 boat probably by one hour, and the NJ guy ignores emails. It's probably sold too.

--
John

Nacra 5.0
CT
--
I thought the mast on the 14 Turbo mast looked like it was bowed significantly...

--
Bill 404 21SE
--