Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Dart 20  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• QuoteI understand from those here who are more experienced that the boat is underpowered but

Underpowered is a relative term. If you don't weigh 1/2 a metric ton, & sail it solo, you will do just fine in lighter air.
    Beat F16's, no, but the fun factor will be just as good. Two Senior chaps, about a mile down the lake,(who raced together in England for decades) regularly sail one.
    If the wind is light they take the H16 & Dart 18. When it really starts to blow they double hand the Dart, & it's no slouch, certainly far faster than say, a Getaway. They are also lighter than my N5.7, & quite a bit less than the H18.
    A Nacra 5.0 also sits at my dock, & it has also been called underpowered. I do notice however that we flog it into big seas when the neighbors H16 & especially the H17 won't leave the dock.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteI'm intrigued with this boat, its clean simplicity, sort of a blank canvas. How can I power it up to fit my venue (salish sea)

The one i sailed on had a tornado square top (probably a pin top cut down and into a square top) and had a non stock jib (possibly also a tornado) and a furler

this helped heat it up in lighter air
  • Thanks guys, hoping to take a look before the holidays. If I get it just have to decide which boat to get rid of, 3 is a crowd
  • Edchris177 If you look closely at the photo in your Dart 15 album, you can see the clip at the rear beam.

Ed,

Thanks for the info, I'm sure you can tell that picture is from your Dart 15 Album here.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures?g2_itemId=113275

I was going to move that album into the new Dart Catamarans album but can't move it or individual pictures.

If you still have the originals of those photos could you add them inside the Dart 15 album like you did the assembly manual? I've increased the max image size to 1920 pixels on all albums also.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • QuoteIf you still have the originals of those photos could you add them inside the Dart 15 album like you did the assembly manual?

Done.
    I was actively pursuing one of these for those big wind/solo/ dead easy to right from turtle days.
    There used to be an active fleet of 18's around London, Ontario & they come up for sale regularly, however I have only seen 2 of the smaller 15's.
    I deleted the original album as it is now superfluous.

Edited by Edchris177 on Dec 01, 2016 - 11:05 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Edchris177
    QuoteIf you still have the originals of those photos could you add them inside the Dart 15 album like you did the assembly manual?

Done.

Thanks Ed!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • "Underpowered is a relative term"

Yes, and comparing the d20 rig to my 5.2 , while the mast is only 18" longer, its E (foot) is substantially longer (don't remember the number) with a much deeper cut. The jib also is much larger . 65 lb heavier So proportionally it seems like it should do well in all conditions. I'll soon find out.

" The one i sailed on had a tornado square top (probably a pin top cut down "

I like that idea, no shortage of used tornado sails. Luckily I have good sails for now

--
    Dart 20
    --
  • Quote So proportionally it seems like it should do well in all conditions

a stock dart 20 is a dog in light air. i will stand by that statement.
    I have sailed a d20 in 2-3.... we were 4 hours or so late for (thanksgiving) dinner.

these boats were designed for north sea action. it's foul weather up there 13 months a year.

conversely ... these boats (stock) can handle a LOT of wind

I have been in 20-45? trapped out a dart18... it was the funnest thing i ever did.... but it was also the one of the wildest thing i ever had done ...

so if you have options (larger sail plan for light air and stock sails for heavy air....) then you may do better in all conditions...
  • Quoteso if you have options (larger sail plan for light air and stock sails for heavy air....) then you may do better in all conditions...

If you elect to get a larger sail, be very careful with the foot measurement. The boomless rigs can't handle much extra.
    I have a couple of factory sails for my 5.7. The larger one quickly goes block-to-block if I hook into the end, (more power)cringle.
    IIRC the Dart sails sit quite high, lots of room below it. The N 5.0 sail foot is horizontal, while the 5.7 utilizes a "sweeper" on the bottom. Perhaps that could be added to a Dart sail, for an extra 5-6 sq ft.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • boatbore
    Perhaps a spin pole with something larger is in my future.

Wouldn’t recommend that, I’ve seen Dart 18 masts break (2 so far) due
    to experimental spi set ups. The masts are basically straight alu poles,
    no diamond, no spreaders. No reinforcement whatsoever.
    The Dart 18 & 20 are simply not designed to carry a spi.
    When you accidentally release the mainsheet in a gibe with the spi up,
    the mast-top just pops above the stay-attachment.

The Dart 20 at our club has a F18 fathead main and a T classic jib as
    an upgrade, Its doing quite good in lighter conditions.

Grtz, André

Edited by catmodding on Dec 04, 2016 - 04:41 PM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Thanks everyone for the great insight on darts

--
    Dart 20
    --
  • Dartman"much like a monocoque race car structure."

Monocoque Bob, really???

Now you're just making up wordz.
    You just keep yer UniCock to yourself, Mister!
    icon_lol

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Nowhave 3 Dart 18 (lost Nacra 5.2 to sandy& lost my nacra5.7 to a n'or Easter), and confirm al Dart observations. Never sailed Dart 20 but sailed side by side and observed when beached next to my Prindle 16 years ago-looked fast but my tornado sailing friends term it a "pig"- I confirm my Dart 18s are slow in light air with our doily size jibs ,but over 15 knots with 2 on board each cat I am more than competitive with much newer Nacra 570 with Mylar sails vs my older Dacron sails. I have tried to utilize modified Hobie 16 jib (which is as big as Dart18 main sail) or Prindle 16 jib on light air days with varied results, always stowing stock jib on board in case wind comes up. skegs really suck when you are schlepping cat up and down beach without cat trax, but taking boat apart is a breeze and 2 people can easily carry a hull once separated from crossbars(old promo tape has hottie helping her man put cat together with seeming ease, but doesn't show them stepping the mast! In my experience need 3 to do that safely.)
  • klozhald
    Dartman"much like a monocoque race car structure."

Monocoque Bob, really???

Now you're just making up wordz.
    You just keep yer UniCock to yourself, Mister!
    icon_lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocoque

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.