Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Standing / lowering a mast, tightening rig, shorthanded -  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• When I was in my 30s, I could drop the NACRA mast on the water, paddle under a causeway bridge, and raise the mast solo on the beach. I was a friggin' Superman. I can raise the mast solo on the trailer now, but it takes more thought and a moment of psyching up for it now. icon_cool

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I have yet to do it solo. but I put a block on the mast stand and run a line attached to the main halyard through the block and back to me on the tramp. its fairly easy to get the mast up and then I have someone attach forestay. all I need to do is figure out where to cleat it and I could get it done solo

--
    Andrew
    Hobie 16 "spirit of '76"
    Lexington, KY
    --
  • I solo up the mast on my 18 almost every time. I find it easier than with multiple people because I can actually stand directly under the mast instead of multiple people reaching over at an angle. Maybe it helps being tall because I don't see too many other people doing it without help.

I'm lean enough to stand inside the diamonds and take it straight to my shoulder and then just walk it up. If I don't have someone to pin it I can actually just grab the forestay that's hanging by the mast and jump forward quick enough that the mast stays up as long as you keep weight on it. Otherwise just tie a rope to the forestay and throw it around the bridles and you can grab it at your feet once the mast is vertical.

Most guys at the beach run their boats backwards on the trailer as seen in the earlier photos so once you pin the mast it's already half raised and you can easily get under it. For city driving that's fine but I don't know about going 70 with the wind pushing on my rudders directly.
  • There are several sets of pics in the technical photo section showing gin pole arrangements that work for a variety of masts. Far less effort and risk, a little more time, good for some of us aging catsailors.
  • There are several sets of pics in the technical photo section showing gin pole arrangements that work for a variety of masts. Far less effort and risk, a little more time, good for some of us aging catsailors.
  • QuoteI have yet to do it solo. but I put a block on the mast stand and run a line attached to the main halyard through the block and back to me on the tramp.

This sounds bad - i hope i am misunderstanding it:

If you are putting a block at the base of the mast support/yoke... no big deal - but at the top ...

the top of your mast stand is most likely not strong enough (or at least not intended for) supporting a 28' alum mast and the forces that come with stepping and dropping.
  • http://www.thebeachcats.c…ystemfor-beach-cats.html

I have one available to ship.
    j

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • QuoteFor city driving that's fine but I don't know about going 70 with the wind pushing on my rudders directly.

you shouldn't - it will be damaging to your boards
    i wouldn't drive 70 with them on with the boat the other way either - over time the impacts (potholes) will cause wear on your board/bolt holes

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.