Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

looking for a Nacra 5.2 Traveler and jib  Bottom

• Hi! So, my Nacra 5.2 Travellor is of Kenyon make, but all the Ball races(If that's what you call them, the little circular things with the spheres in them) have all fallen out! I'm looking for new things of those, or a new traveler all together! I'm also looking for a Jib! I'd love to get them by this weekend but i'm not sure how this type of thing works.

• I had one of those, on an old 5.2.
    I have a post somewhere here, regarding exactly what you need. IIRC, they are 5/32", and can be obtained for dirt cheap.
    That is, the small ball bearings are cheap. If you have lost the actual race, that the balls sit in...good luck.
    I have not seen anywhere you can replace the race.
    As you probably know, they are not secured, & fall out as soon as you pull the car off the track.
    I'll try to search out that thread

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Here is on eof the bearing sources.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures?g2_itemId=106781
    do a search on "Kenyon", there are a few threads on those travelers.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • I think most bicycle shops would have .125in loose ball bearings

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Have a look online for torlon balls 5/32.You can buy them at multiple sources,, look around as prices vary

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • Alright, thanks guys! Really appreciate the help! I found a way to put some of the bearings and races back in. You take thick greasy stuff and put it on the pin, then the race, and the bearings. the stuff holds it all together while you put the other races on, then you just slide it onto the track!
  • Alright, thanks guys! Really appreciate the help! I found a way to put some of the bearings and races back in. You take thick greasy stuff and put it on the pin, then the race, and the bearings. the stuff holds it all together while you put the other races on, then you just slide it onto the track!
  • kingkesperYou take thick greasy stuff and put it on the pin, then the race, and the bearings. the stuff holds it all together while you put the other races on, then you just slide it onto the track!

Shaving cream works well and washes completely out later.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Have jib and can ship USPO priorty tomorrow (2 days ). Pete pbegle@charter.net
  • pbegleHave jib and can ship USPO priorty tomorrow (2 days ). Pete pbegle@charter.net

Sorry man, I got a jib and main combo for a good price. I really appreciate the offer though! ^-^
  • I'm confused, I was unaware the jib had a traveler. I'm extremely curious about this. My 5.2 has non adjustable location in the trampoline slots. Thanks for let me know on this.

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    YouTube link to see boat in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLddinE6IorSrPpZrlvcwAjRzSIQsKYPG1
    --
  • csmonte, I bet he's talking about the jib and the MAIN traveller. A jib traveller on a 5.2 would require a much smaller jib and it wouldn't be a 5.2 jib any more then.
  • csmonte, I bet he's talking about the jib and the MAIN traveller. A jib traveller on a 5.2 would require a much smaller jib and it wouldn't be a 5.2 jib any more then.
  • OK, I was kinda freaking out. I'm having trouble with my jib fluttering at the back side of the sail. I really need a solution to this jib. I may make a post if I don't get pictures, BUT:

Can Anyone with a 5.2 shoot me a picture, or a detailed location on there jib block. Location measurement Inbetween the slots in the tramp, OR distance from front or rear crossbar and if possible away from outer hull.

I have aftermarket Wirlwind sails which are awesome but I'm having trouble losing this jib flutter.

Thanks guys.

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    YouTube link to see boat in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLddinE6IorSrPpZrlvcwAjRzSIQsKYPG1
    --
  • On both our N5.7, & N5.0, there are two short battens in the leech of the jib. Originally they were about 10" long, set horizontally,(parallel to the foot).
    If these were missing, the lech fluttered, & no amount of moving the jib cars in the track, or sheet tension would prevent it.
    I can't remember if the 5.2 has these. Ours slipped into small pockets, & could, (& did) come out on several occasions.
    The 5.0, & 5.7 blocks are fixed as far as being able to be moved inwards, so the above might not apply.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • The 5.7 jib blocks are on a track that move fore and aft which changes the angle of the sail a bit. As the block is moved aft it is possible to close-haul a bit more. It's not as effective as something on the front beam, but it works okay. Problem is the jib sheets and blocks get in the way of crew or passengers.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Sorry csmonte, I can't help you there as I have changed my original setup. I now have a smaller jib sheeted to the main beam...
  • klozhald
    kingkesperYou take thick greasy stuff and put it on the pin, then the race, and the bearings. the stuff holds it all together while you put the other races on, then you just slide it onto the track!

Shaving cream works well and washes completely out later.

Great tip!

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
    --
  • I was just looking at old images of my 5.2 jib and it does have the small battens in it. There were a couple of different jib block set ups that I have seen, but the way mine is still set up with is with a wire running from the main beam to the rear beam. Mine has had various types of closed cell hose line over that wire. The jib blocks are attached to that wire with a line usually running to the rear beam and through the strap that holds the wire and to a clam cleat. This set up gives you the ability to move the jib blocks for and aft, but not something you would do while racing. I've just added an image to my album that shows the deck from a distance. If it would be helpful I can take a closer image tomorrow in the daylight. I would measure the distance from the rear beam on my setup, but I doubt it is correct after all the work I did last fall.

If your jib is fluttering badly and you do have the small battens in place you need to figure out how to get the blocks slightly more forward.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127177&g2_serialNumber=4

Some of the newer setups have this jib wire running under the tramp.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.