Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rudder Gudgeon replacement  Bottom

• I cracked the transom between the lower gudgeon and the drain plug. So I have ordered the H18 diecast gudgeons and plan to repair/reinforce the transom and install the new gudgeons. I have been told the H18 castings are the same as the 21, so I am assuming the gudgeon will work also. I have searched this site and haven't found much info on people repairing the transom or replacing the gudgeons.

I am primarily looking for advice on how to make sure you get the gudgeon aligned vertically. I am thinking plum bob or other such weighted string. I have an access port behind the rear beam that was used to repair the wing trunk, so I have access to the inside already. So I plan to do most of the glass repair through the existing access port on the inside. I plan to put washers and nuts on the inside, but can not decide on an aluminum plate or anything to help distribute the load. But maybe the one piece gudgeon will distribute the load well enough if I just put washers and nuts on the inside.

If it matters this is a 1988 H21SE

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • scott
    i repaired this transom by installing a s.s. backer plate for the bolts then i threw a few layers of fiberglas over the plate and crack from the inside. cinching the bolts pulled the transom crack right back together. i had a bit of gelcoat to do, but not much.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124561&g2_serialNumber=3

QuoteI am primarily looking for advice on how to make sure you get the gudgeon aligned vertically.

how about measuring the distance between the holes in the top gudgeons (port to starboard) and using that same distance for aligning the lower gudgeons?
    j

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • Make a cardboard template cut to the shape of the transom and marking where the guidgeoms currently are. Save it to relocate the lower gudgeon later. No measuring required.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.