Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cat Trax too short?  Bottom

• I just took delivery today of Cat Trax. I originally order 1622 from Backyard boats for the 8'-6" axle, but realized that that unit would not include end caps and cushions for the axle. So I changed the order to 1621 to get the 8' axle with end caps at $459 + $60 shipping. Jay at Backyardboats was in touch several times to help make sure the 8' axle would work with my NACRA 5.7. Shortly after shipping, Jay called and said Florida Sailcraft sent cradles, and he would charge his cost of $120 if I chose to keep them.

I got delivery today, and the axle length is only 7'-9". The package did not include the end caps or axle cushions, so I have no choice but to use the cradles, or wait for a new delivery. I am concerned the axle is short, and I didn't get what I paid for. Anyone have ideas? I'm in for $519 for the wheels with delivery, and another $120 ($639 total) for the cradles I didn't order, and may not have a useful set of beach wheels.

Will the 7-9 axle work? I won't know until I drive 120 miles up to the lake to check everything out.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I can't measure my axle til fri, but I think you're ok. The axle does not have to be as wide as the boat. Remember, your 5.7 hulls are narrower from skeg to skeg, than from outside edge to outside edge. I only have a photo of the 5.0, but I think it is the same width as the 5.7
    Skeg to skeg is 84" (7'), so if the axle is 7'9", that gives you 4.5" outside of each skeg. Sorry, I'm in Rome right now, only have a crummy iPad &I don't know how to "right click" to get the "save image location" option. icon_mad
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…556&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
    I have never used cradles on the 5.0, or 5.7, the skeg hulls are very strong along the keels, however, the axle tends to wander a bit without cradles. I had cradles for the 10' beam Mystere, it never moved.
    I personally think the cushions, (they appear to be a thick automotive radiator type hose), are useful if you don't have cradles.
    I think you need end caps, if you don't have cradles. The tie down lines attach to the end caps. If you don't wrap the lines around the shrouds, the axles walk.

Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 24, 2016 - 12:15 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thanks Ed, I'm loading up the car and will find out tomorrow. My problem with this is I ordered the basic Cat Trax, and got shipped the more expensive option with the cradles that I'm stuck using, or need to wait a week for an adjustment. I'm pretty sure, once I bolt the cradles on, they're mine. Just an expense I didn't need.

As far as length, it's easy to make the axle longer if needed. I guess I'm just whining because I didn't get what I expected, and it's going to cost more.

Edited by tominpa on Aug 24, 2016 - 01:09 AM.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • If it's only for a week, you could make do without the cradles. Send them back &I get end caps and rubber hose.
    You would need to tie a line around axle, then wrap around shroud, or the axle will skitter out.
    One other thought, will you ever get another boat, or use your wheels with other boats?
    Some of the higher performance boats have rounded hull bottoms,(fragile), & need the cradles.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Okay, Cat Trax are the cat's meow. I can finally pull this boat onto the beach single handed, and even turn it around and re-launch. Just ridiculously easy. WTF was I thinking dragging that boat around the last couple years? And, no, they're not too short.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/2392B29B-A0B7-44D5-8DFC-E52376A11D46.jpg

Edited by tominpa on Aug 24, 2016 - 07:02 PM.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • tominpaOkay, Cat Trax are the cat's meow.

enjoy!

you might consider wrapping or capping the ends somehow so if they somehow pop out of place while using them (its easier to place the wheels under the boat in a few feet of water but you are forcing buoyant tires underwater and they can get a little goofy) they are less likely to leave a scar

i had crew "helping me" and he did a lot of damage to my paint when the wheels popped out of place

I now have a wooden block contact cemented to block any contact. I'm sure there are more elegant ways
  • Good idea! I'll look for a PVC cap I can use some set-screws to hold in place. I still would like to get the end-caps I thought I was getting.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • tominpa I can finally pull this boat onto the beach single handed, and even turn it around and re-launch. Just ridiculously easy. WTF was I thinking dragging that boat around the last couple years? And, no, they're not too short.

Great to hear, I knew if you tried with cradles you wouldn't regret it.

I used trax for 20 years with my H18 without cradles and only added them a couple of years ago, I felt like such a dummy because it made everything so much easier.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • do you mean these?
    http://floridasailcraft.com/w/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/IMG_1172-600x600.jpg
    http://floridasailcraft.c…oduct/end-caps-cat-trax/

I don't know for sure but i don't think they fit if you have cradles on....
    but they would be a perfect fit on the axle
    I think some pvc from any store would work very well lf you can find the correct diam.

if you have a band-saw or are crafty, you could modify the ones from floridasailcraft and may be a good answer (esp for $12)
  • DamonLinkous
    tominpa I can finally pull this boat onto the beach single handed, and even turn it around and re-launch. Just ridiculously easy. WTF was I thinking dragging that boat around the last couple years? And, no, they're not too short.

Great to hear, I knew if you tried with cradles you wouldn't regret it.

I used trax for 20 years with my H18 without cradles and only added them a couple of years ago, I felt like such a dummy because it made everything so much easier.

This! Not only have I struggled to beach and launch the boat, but I have had to make constant repairs as the hulls and gel coat got worn. This last round, I really worked to fair everything properly and get a good finish. The first time I ground the boat over the beach I knew this couldn't continue...but Sheesh! $639

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.