Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What's the best/most efficient righting system?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• My 110 lb. child can right her Hobie 14 in about any blow. The key is to drape the righting line over the hull therefore obtaining the greatest righting leverage. Additionally, you must start with a sealed, water tight mast.

I sail a 11 ft wide Nacra 18 Square with a 32.5 foot mast and with a righting pole attached to the dolphin striker. Adding my 230 lbs to the end of it, the Square is righted every time.
  • Whatever system you use, and you should try a few, practice frequently until it becomes second nature. What works on a calm lake may be difficult in swells, what works when it's blowing may be difficult in light air, although capsizing in light air shouldn't be a problem. Get an onshore breeze and practice, worst that can happen is you get blown back to the beach. I know mast floats aren't sexy but when you are learning it is great comfort knowing you won't turtle, of course making sure your mast is sealed is paramount

The Hobie 14 should be a pretty easy boat to right
  • QuoteWhat works on a calm lake may be difficult in swells,

+1 When we turtled the entire fleet last week my buddy said he could not walk out on the sharp upturned edge of the N5.0, due the very rough conditions. The waves had built from solid whitecaps to long breaking swells that collapsed after running for 10 seconds. He ended up using the bridal wire as a step & sort of clinging to the hull.
    I snapped two batten ties, & the battens protruded a couple of feet. Not wanting to lose them, I swam to the sail edge to pull them out. Each wave yanked the leech out of my hand. I eventually got them both, wove them into the centre tramp lacing & secured them.
    The next problem was getting the righting line. I have it stowed, along with the righting bag to one of the hiking straps, which were now underneath. It's damned hard to untie something by feel, at the end of your reach, while being bounced around.
    My mast is tight, but my concern was the rotator wishbone. There is no way to totaly seal that, & I was very aware that water must be slowly coming in.
    My sails get dirty alot, so I have a fair bit of practice washing them. I would not have wanted this to be my inaugural righting attempt.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I have a mama bob on my mast and use a righting bag with block and tackle I use to right my n5.7. The only downside is the time it takes to get the bag deployed and the cleanup after. My tramp ends up looking like a sailing yard sale after a capsize. I think I finally worked out a simple way to rig a retractable righting pole for cheap and easy. I'll post pics once I have it put together and tested.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • martyrThank you for the clarification about the shroud extentions, I would assume that my boat being a H16 would not need them. I've looked my set up over today and it has the righting lines connected to a long shock cord which goes from the dolphin striker to the rear bar and has a couple of pulleys near the rear bar. I assume this is how it should be set up. Also, I see that the aft part of the righting line needs to be tied off to the rear rudder casting or rudder pin? Is that correct? I've removed my rudders for a little sanding and cleaning up so I tied off the righting line to the rear frame post for now. So when I reinstall the rudders and tiller assembly, where exactly do I tie that righting line?

You don't necessarily need shroud extenders, but, unless you always sail with something like 290 lbs+ crew weight, you will need an aid to right in all conditions. Your lines were probably connected to the rudder pins (that's common). For a cleaner install, some drill a hole in the rear deck lip and attach with some 3/16" line and a stopper knot.

I don't like the bungied systems for the reasons Dogboy stated above (over two years ago!). I use a piece of dock line tied to the front beam near the mast much like klozhald (nice moniker.....I just now got it!). It has the knots for hand holding, but no splice. Instead, it has another strategically place knot down low for hooking to my trap harness. That way, I'm not holding my weight up with my arms, and they are free to climb the line (as the boat comes up) and/or deal with the large Murrays righting bag (with tackle) that I carry when solo.

Some will say that, if there's enough wind to knock you down, there's enough to get you back up. The wind does help, but I disagree with this statement. Especially lake sailing here it's not uncommon to get a gust capable of knocking you down, but then not get another strong blow for a long time.....not fun when most of the lake is lined with rip-rap that you're drifting toward.

Whatever system you utilize, proper technique is very important. I strongly recommend that you practice righting in controlled conditions and with help standing by so that you are better prepared to deal with the inevitable in less than ideal conditions.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.